Touch ID working almost flawlessly in the App Store, but always fails in unlocking

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Akonpex, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Akonpex macrumors newbie

Why is that the Touch ID is working almost flawlessly in the App Store (app purchase, update), but when it comes to unlocking the device I keep on getting a lot of errors. :confused:

I'm positive I'm not the only one, a couple of my friends have observed this too.

2. dasx macrumors 65816

dasx

Unlocking works perfect for me, as long as I have set my fingerprints in a 1-2 week frame. Then, it starts to fail more and more, until it's a fail every time and needs to re-scan once or twice in order to unlock.

Solution always is to erase fingerprints and re scan again. It's interesting that I have to re scan my thumbs twice a month, while the other two fingers, which I rarely use, still have the initial recording.

Looks like if the learning process of the touch ID ****ed it up somehow.

3. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

i think that touch id should relearn your fingerprint every scan, noticing changes in your finger because someones finger is never going to stay the same, that would allow for flawless scanning and better accuracy.

4. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

For me it is working very well and I never had to delete and repeat the process.
    It works 90% of the times.
    I'm very happy with it.

5. hansonjohn590 macrumors 6502

Accuracy for me is probbaly about 75% of the time. It's a lot better than the last fingerprint technolgoy I had around 2007 but still has a long way to go.

What I don't like is when it fails once, it will usually continue to fail until I type in my password. It will either work the first time or won't work at all.

6. Robster3 macrumors 68000

I find it too fast to unlock, doesn't give you a chance to see messages on your lock screen.

7. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Lol, now people are complianing it's too fast! People are never happy :rolleyes:

8. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

Agreed its flawless in App Store, but still good in unlocking me me. Just gotta press and try to scan better finger coverage to work.

9. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

I place my index finger on the home button, press down, and just wait a second or two, no hurries, and works each, and every time. I have two sets of my right hand index finger. One, normal home ambient temp, and the other right after taking a hot shower just in case the hot water messes up the print for some reason. Had my iPhone for over two months, and not one issue.

10. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

Not sure why it would be different. I find that I need to let up on the pressure after pressing the home button to unlock. Maybe this is why some folks are having better luck in the App Store? (I.e., you are just placing your finger.)

11. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

probably just because u take your time in App Store but when unlocking the phone u are trying too fast.

12. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Letting up on the pressure a tiny bit, but leaving it on the home button is in my opinion necessary. I can almost bet some have just pressed down on the home button, and then released it without giving it another 1/4 second for the sensor to work correctly.

13. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Not complaining just saying how fast and good it works:rolleyes::rolleyes::eek:

How good is the Cricket:)

14. bigjim83 macrumors 6502

I find that it is good to delete and redo my fingerprints every now and then. Maybe its just me but I feel that helps. Also if I use my thumbs the most to unlock my phone I will make two prints for the thumb at different angels so that it will always unlock (well almost always).

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

My iPhone just stopped recognizing that there is a sensor on my iPhone. If I go into security, it says I don't have the Touch ID sensor. :(

16. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

yes, app store tends to work better, but that is because you are holding the phone at your normal writing/touching position. If you were to hold your phone the same way to unlock it will recognize it just as fast.

You can test this by buying a free app, getting it to recognizer and then turn off the screen w the other hand then click the home button and you will see it will unlock just as fast.

In short, it unlocks better because its in a closer to same position as when you configured it.

17. Akonpex thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmmm I unlock my phone just the same way as my normal writing/touching position as you say but I don't get as much errors in the app store. I just find it weird that it works more on the appstore as compared to unlocking.

Will try your suggestion. ;)