Touch ID worse on 7.1.1

Is Touch ID Better for you?

  • It's definitely better

    Votes: 47 38.2%
  • It's about the same

    Votes: 44 35.8%
  • It's worse

    Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I don't have a 5S - I just wanted to vote.

    Votes: 15 12.2%

  • Total voters
    123
  • Poll closed .

seble

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
930
113
Anyone else finding that their touch ID is actually functioning much worse on 7.1.1? With 7.1 my touch ID was nearly flawless, now it nearly always doesn't work...
 

Crispy Duck

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2006
165
20
Manchester, UK
I never had any issues before 7.1.1. I was always pretty happy with it.

But I now think it's improved... Sometimes now it unlocks the phone with a quick tap of the button (removing finger straight away)... don't even need to keep the finger in place.
 

seble

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
930
113
That's a shame, looks like most poeple are getting on okay with theirs. I'll redo the prints and see if that improves things...
 

johannnn

macrumors 65816
Nov 20, 2009
1,406
776
Sweden
For me 7.1.1 is like 100x better than even 7.1
Never had it enabled before due to the extra time when it didn't recognize but now everything just works, I'm so happy they lowered the threshold or whatever they did
 

big samm

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2008
1,270
154
Mine is slower to recognize my finger... Maybe i have to set it up again because of the update...
 

seble

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
930
113
TouchID has been a disgrace since Apple introduced it. :(
Sarcasm or?

----------

Mine is slower to recognize my finger... Maybe i have to set it up again because of the update...
Since I posted, I haven't reset my fingers but it actually seems to be a little bit quicker now when it does work, but it's still not as great at always getting my finger. Here's to hoping there are even further improvements.
 

kagharaht

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2007
872
363
It's a good idea to do a new fingerprint impression with the new update. Specially if you were having trouble with the previous impressions.
 

fiveainone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
760
76
On 7.1, I was able to unlock with half a finger print on there, which I have it set like that in the scanning set up. 7.1.1 seems to have made half finger unlock take longer/not work as well. But still better than 7.0. Kinda sucks as 7.1 unlocked much easier, at least it feels like.
 

Prof.

macrumors 601
Aug 17, 2007
4,826
557
Chicago
Touch ID on 7.0 was lickety–split, but now it takes a half second longer to unlock. iOS 7 is just a nightmare. Give me the cosmetics of iOS 7, but the stability of iOS 6.
 

roken70

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2013
7
0
I agree totally with the opener. I had almost no problems up until 7.1.1. Now I run regularly into problems and have to unlock my phone with my password. I also trained TouchId from scratch to no avail.
 

yukhalilsel

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2014
35
3
The Netherlands
It's recommended to wash your hands and properly dry it before setting up Touch ID. Nobody in my circle complains about Touch ID, so it must be incidental for those of you who seem to have trouble with it.
 

MinEderPlayz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2013
708
29
Hamburg, Germany
I have about a 90% success rate with Touch ID. The other 10% I have to realign my thumb and then it works. It does take less time to unlock iPhone 5s with my fingerprint... But since I am not part of the whiny "Ugh-that-millisecond-I-needed" group of people I don't really see an important difference.
 

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
1,150
419
since 7.1.1 update (day of release) my 5S hasn't missed one recognition, it has been flawless.
 

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
12,141
13,991
I was thoroughly impressed today actually. Only a few minutes after getting out of the shower I was able to use the TouchID with a still somewhat pruney finger, something that definitely wasn't happening before.
 

big3etr

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2013
15
0
I had to get my 5S replaced after 7.1 update. It rendered my TID completely unusable. This new phone is perfect. Take the phone to Apple store and let them check it out...