Touch ID - yer doin it wrong

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gmacdowall, Dec 30, 2014.

1. gmacdowall macrumors newbie

If you have an iPhone 6 Plus purchased in December and your Touch ID does not work, let me save you some time. No matter what you do, it's not going to work until Apple issues an iOS update.

I'm not talking about spotty recognition. I'm talking about NO recognition. You enter a finger. It works fine on the first try for a couple of hours. Then, as more time goes by, the recognition gradually gets worse, until less than 24 hours later there is no recognition whatsoever. At that point you can enter the same finger again and it will be recognized immediately.

At first I thought it was hardware, so I returned the phone and got one that did the same thing. Then I researched some more and the other people experiencing it seemed to also all be on 8.1.2, so I went back to Apple this past Sunday to ask for a phone with something prior to 8.1.2.

The technician told me that Apple has "acknowledged" the Touch ID problem and that it will be fixed in the next release which is coming out "soon". I did get a phone with 8.0 on it, but Touch ID still does not work, even though I set up as new with no restore.

I am guessing that there is some kind of second factor like model, amount of idle time, or manufacture date because it does not seem to be affecting everyone. Or maybe it IS and they are all convinced that they are doing it wrong.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

purchase date: 12/12/14

iPhone 6 Plus 64g
    ios 8.0(12A366)
    Model NGAH2LL/A (Sprint has different model than other carriers)

2. JoEw macrumors 65816

JoEw

iPhone 6 here, I can't tell if touchid has a bug in IOS8 or if it is just my fingers/angle I tend to put my finger on my phone but it is only works maybe half the time and it becomes pretty embarassing trying to use Apple Pay holding up the line ateempting to get my fingerprint recognized.

I have tried redoing my fingers multiple times and went into the Touch ID menu and began placing my finger on the enclave repeatedly as someone told me this apparently helps touchid learn your fingerprint better, it does recognize my finger most of the time but with noticeable delay.

At this point, I have just been entering my passcode as I usually do it is so frustrating.

I still think my iPhone is great but TouchID is a real let down so far.

3. burgman macrumors 65816

burgman

You must have food grease on your fingers:S
    Nice first post.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Touch ID did not work well on my 5S at all. Tried on both my 6 and 6+ and it works better but still not to the point I want to put up with it.

Warning: People here will tell you how you are doing it wrong or you do not know what you are doing by saying anything negative about touch ID. The diehards will not put up with any iphone problems.:cool:

Update: It is already starting to happen (above)

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You're sounding too much like another member who shares the same initials as your screenname.

6. ZEEN0j macrumors 6502a

Touch ID had a big problem when the 5s released. It was about how it was supposed to "learn" and get better overtime. But it instead got worse. Apple fixed this in 7.1. For me before 7.1 it worked 100% the first day. And then maybe just 60%. After 7.1 it has worked 100% on three different devices. So for me that's saying that either your phone is the problem or your finger.

7. Zxxv macrumors 68040

mine works flawlessly on my 6 and has since September/ 2nd week of release. worked fine on my 5s too.

8. Akack macrumors 6502a

My iPhone 6+ purchased 2 weeks ago and on iOS 8.1.2 has worked flawlessly since I bought it. My iPhone 6 prior to the 6+ also worked flawlessly since I picked it up launch weekend.

I have only 3 fingers registered and didn't register any finger twice.

9. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

I was given two separate brand new 6 pluses in December to replace my launch day one for reasons I won't go into, but Touch ID was not one of them.

Touch Id has works great for me since it came out, just enter your fingerprint twice, sure it uses up a slot but it works about 50% better.

So out of the 5 slots available I use

Right thumb 1
    Right thumb 2
    Left thumb 1
    Left thumb 2
    Right index

10. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Sorry, never want to even sound like him but sometimes the truth..... Many posts ago I expressed how my touch ID was not working well and I was attacked. Something you do not forget, kinda like where the top of your ski boots rub on your shins the next day after a full day on the slopes and having to put the boots on AGAIN!:eek:

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I was just kidding, but you weren't attacked. We simply encouraged you to give it another try as it's significantly improved on the 6/6+ and iOS 8.

12. gmacdowall thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you need special Apple fingers to use the iPhone? Where can I buy them?

13. aristobrat macrumors G4

That's cool. In all of the years I worked for Apple Retail, nobody in the store (even managers) were privy to what's included in "future" updates, unless it was documented on apple.com.

FWIW, there isn't any mention of anything Touch ID related in the upcoming iOS 8.2 Beta 3 Release Notes (but I'm not sure if they list hardware related changes there).

14. ZEEN0j macrumors 6502a

A fingerprint will do just fine.

15. Zxxv macrumors 68040

16. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Same here. Entering it twice to improve TouchID accuracy is no longer necessary on the 6/6+.

17. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Works perfect for me on 8.1.x and even faster on 8.2 beta 3. Especially on iPad air 2

----------

It's really hard to believe that it would not work with several phones. Plus the Apple tech guy is feeding u a line of bull. The problem must lie elsewhere....

18. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

I'm not saying you're doing it wrong or anything like that but Touch ID has been fine for me on my iPhone 6. Only time it has issues is when my hands are clammy, even the slightest bit, which is kind of annoying. Nothing I can really do about it though. It really sucks though because I'm a more nervous person, and it I get even slightly nervous or uncomfortable, my body immediately responds by sweating, so yeah Touch ID turns to crap.

19. FieldingMellish Suspended

It's no different than my 5S and before IOS 8 update. Which is why I looked forward to seeing avid Apple Pay devotees holding up the line while they attempt, time and again, to get their finger recognized to no avail, lol.

20. Bahroo macrumors 68000

Touch ID works really great for me actually, id say 98% of the time it works for me . I have my finger registered twice and that helps a whole ton in consistency and accuracy

Touch ID works fantasically good on the 6 and 6 Plus suprisingly(i registered same finger twice and it makes all the difference)

21. Sosab123 macrumors member

6+ week 39 aka golden week, Touch ID works perfectly

22. iThingsGurl macrumors 6502a

iThingsGurl

While I can any day vouch for Touch ID's accuracy, the OP here specifically talks about the iPhone 6 Plus bought in December 2014. Can anyone with a December iPhone 6 Plus share their experience?

23. Sosab123 macrumors member

24. iThingsGurl macrumors 6502a

iThingsGurl

Sorry I missed that. I say, isn't Week 39 the week of September 22 to September 28 in 2014?

25. Sosab123 macrumors member

October