Touch is ALWAYS a new iPod?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Dctape, Dec 1, 2007.

1. Dctape macrumors regular

Dctape

I got my Touch a couple of days ago. I LOVE it. Great device. The only problem I have is that iTunes seems to want to make it a NEW iPod every time I connect. It makes me go through the registration process each charge. What am I missing? There HAS to be some way to get it to remember that it knows my iPod Touch. Any suggestions?

2. bennypod macrumors member

3. California King macrumors 65816

Did you register? It will tell you to register every time until you do.

4. jman2003 macrumors member

yeah the same thing happens to me
    it only happens on my replacement ipod

5. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

I had *exactly* the same thing happen to me. After registering for the third time, I just pressed never register and it stopped bothering me. It's funny, they added the backup your iPod Touch/iPhone feature to iTunes literally the same day I had my exchanged. I got home, went to sync it up and saw the update sitting there and just laughed. I'm probably never going to use that feature again. Well, until they release a bigger iPod Touch :p

6. tony Ramirez macrumors member

the back up feature isn't what yu think it is.
    I had to restore my iPod and there was a backup in my itunes and when iTunes recognized the "new" iPod, it asked me if I wanted to restore from the backup and I clicked yes. The point to this story is that the only stuff that was put back onto my restored iPod was like wifi connection passwords and bookmarks and things like that so dnt think it backs up all of your music again

7. Mac OS X Ocelot macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

Same thing is happening to my iPod 5G replacement for a defective one and my mother's new Classic. It's strange and annoying. It must be something with iTunes.

8. benolathe macrumors newbie

So glad to read this, as I was wondering what I was doing wrong. Just opened up my Touch today, and all three times that I've connected to my computer, it has forced me to go through the set-up, registration process. I had no idea what I could have been doing wrong because all of my info was syncing to the iPod okay.

So, if you think it's an iTunes problem, hopefully someone will figure out what's wrong and correct iTunes.

9. appie57 macrumors 6502

appie57

same thing here

It happens to my new iPod Touch also. Every time iTunes thinks it's a new iPod and asks to register. Annoying. Maybe it's in a .plist file? I am going to look further. Anybody found anything on Apple support?

10. LeaverX macrumors member

I think you have to completely finish registering it first.