Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hatcher146

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 26, 2007
north carolina
I have a week 37 touch and I got it the day my best buy got them in. It does have the neagative screen issue but this is not the problem

It has been working fine for the last two months but all of a sudden today it is not responding. When I put it to sleep and then wake it up it will let me "slide to unlock" and maybe press an icon but after that...its done its not responding to any of my touches. Its really bugging me. Sometimes it will let me touch and click something but not very often.

What do you think I should do? I don't have a warranty and the 30 day one is up. Would best buy do an exchange?

ANY help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Thanks!

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
I have a week 37 touch and I got it the day my best buy got them in. It does have the neagative screen issue but this is not the problem

It has been working fine for the last two months but all of a sudden today it is not responding. When I put it to sleep and then wake it up it will let me "slide to unlock" and maybe press an icon but after that...its done its not responding to any of my touches. Its really bugging me. Sometimes it will let me touch and click something but not very often.

What do you think I should do? I don't have a warranty and the 30 day one is up. Would best buy do an exchange?

Thanks!

Have you tried a restore? Assuming your PC/Mac recognises the iPod, when you plug it in there is an option to Restore on the summary page. This will delete everything, but will essentially make the iPod touch act as if it was completely new.

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
By chance have you cleaned the screen recently with the black cloth Apple gave you? I find the oils on our hands builds up over time and, at least for me, stops responding as well as it should. I say make sure the glass is clean before you go any further.

John

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
I don't have a warranty and the 30 day one is up. Would best buy do an exchange?

Thanks!

Actually you do have a warranty. Apple warranties all their iPods for one year, just like their computers. Only your phone support has expired, you are more than welcome to take it to an Apple Store for repair if necessary (see post above).

John

hobbesgmc

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2007
I have been having the same problems, did the restore and everything. finally took it to apple on friday and they did a restore and it seemed to work. But as soon as i got home and tried using it it went back to freezing up. I am heading back to apple tomorrow and see if they will replace it.

samwich

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2007
When mine is acting up, instead of a restore I opt for a "reset". Hold the "hold" button and the "home" button together until the silver apple comes up.

twerk

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2007
the EXACT same thing has happnened to me
especially after sleep/wake
it the screen doesnt respond to my touches

i contacted apple and they are sending me a box for me to just put my ipod in and send to them for replacement...

dont ask me
as long as it gets fixed

LeaverX

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2007
Could be physical obstruction. Give screen good clean. After this, do a PC restore. If problem persists, I don't know what your stores return policies are.

hobbesgmc

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2007
I took mine back to the apple store today- just schedule a appointment at the genius bar- and they gave me a new touch. all is well. if you go in just make sure to tell them that it works at times even after a restore but then goes back to freezing.

hatcher146

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 26, 2007
north carolina
thanks for the replies everyone...but :(

its acting up again...

i thought it had stopped....i upgraded to 1.1.2 and it seemed fine

but i was watching a tv show on it today and then it stopped repsonding to my touches...and i had to keep putting it to sleep then waking it up and it still only lets me "touch" it a few times then it just freezes.

i got it from best buy and the 30 day warranty is up...

if i brought it to the store and showed them...what do you think would happen?

thanks

skir0987

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2007
thanks for the replies everyone...but :(

its acting up again...

i thought it had stopped....i upgraded to 1.1.2 and it seemed fine

but i was watching a tv show on it today and then it stopped repsonding to my touches...and i had to keep putting it to sleep then waking it up and it still only lets me "touch" it a few times then it just freezes.

i got it from best buy and the 30 day warranty is up...

if i brought it to the store and showed them...what do you think would happen?

thanks

Is it jailbroken? If it is, then restore it first and then take it in and see what they say. If you took it in and it was still jailbroken, your warrantee would be completely gone, and then you would be totally screwed... but I would suggest taking it in. They would probably give you a new one if it was a hardware issue.

Shep

hatcher146

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 26, 2007
north carolina
Is it jailbroken? If it is, then restore it first and then take it in and see what they say. If you took it in and it was still jailbroken, your warrantee would be completely gone, and then you would be totally screwed... but I would suggest taking it in. They would probably give you a new one if it was a hardware issue.

Shep

it was jailbroken...not anymore once i upgraded to 1.1.2

i think i will bring it in and see what happens

wish me luck! haha

hatcher146

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 26, 2007
north carolina
well...

went to best buy today...

they are sending it out for repair.

dont know when i'll get it back.

hopefully soon...im gonna be lost without it!

any idea how long it will take to repair/ replacement?

twerk

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2007
im the oringinal poster haha

i sent mine to apple after jailbreak restored blah blah

turn around was 2 days

picked up and shipped tuesday repared and shipped back wednesday delivered thursday morning

Hoopdy

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
I just got a brand new Touch and have been noticing this same thing. Sometimes it will just not respond to touching it unless I put it to sleep with the bottom on top and wake it up again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.