Touch Losses Saved WiFi

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by bjobes, Dec 29, 2008.

1. bjobes macrumors regular

I have an 3G iPhone and just got my daughter a Touch. On her Touch I've added our hidden WiFi settings which work great until you leave the signal area (which doesn't take much with this Touch). Returning to the area and the settings are gone.

My iPhone retains my WiFi settings and as soon as I'm back in the area it connects as it should. Why wouldn't the Touch retain these settings too without re-keying everything in again?

2. bjobes thread starter macrumors regular

3. Aceon6 macrumors newbie

I'm guessing your network doesn't broadcast its name. To my knowledge, the touch will only rejoin networks that broadcast their names.

4. bjobes thread starter macrumors regular

You are correct. Why would I want to broadcast to the entire neighborhood my wireless name? That's like the first step in WiFi security and they couldn't do what the did for the iPlhone. Stupid just stupid.:mad:

5. NachoB macrumors newbie

This above info may not be completely true, and I haven't done enough testing to know under what circumstances it doesn't forget a network that's not broadcasting its SSID.

I do know that if you turn wifi off and back on, whether connected to the network or not, it will forget the hidden network.
    I do know that if you leave the network area, don't join a new network while away, and return to the hidden network that it will join back.
    I think if you leave the hidden network area, join a new network thru the wifi panel, that it will forget the hidden network.
    I think if you leave the hidden network area, and the iPod Touch auto joins a network you've previously configured, that it will auto join back to the hidden network when in range.

Again, I haven't done a lot of testing. But I'm pretty sure this is what happens from my experience on a 2G with 2.2 software.

6. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

my network doesn't broadcast itself either, but my Touch still connects automatically. I selected my wifi connection on my Touch via the main settings option (the cogs and wheels icon).

7. AlphaTeam macrumors regular

AlphaTeam

I've been dealing with this too.
    We have iphones and touches here and we get the same thing. Phones keep it touches lose it. One would have thought they would have fixed it in OS 3, but I guess not.

8. poolish macrumors regular

you could set up access control on your wireless router so only specific devices which you allow will be able to join your network.. then show the SSID. think that would be pretty secure. more effort to hack into than anyone is likely to bother with anyway.
    obviously thats not ideal, i don't see why iphones should be able to store the network but ipod touches cant..

9. Dino451 macrumors 6502

Not broadcasting your SSID will not stop someone who knows what they are doing from seeing your WIFI. Just have a good password and good encryption and your good.

10. dusura macrumors newbie

If you broadcast your SSID you still have to re-enter your password each time the touch finds the network again. This is a security problem because the temptation is to set a simple password if you have to type it in all the time. It's very annoying! I guess we need a fix from apple and their is no workaround.

11. oneeach macrumors member

With my setup (Time Capsule) my 3rd gen iPod Touch will prompt for the password, then after a couple of seconds the prompt will go away and I'm in. Note that I normally turn off the Wi-Fi on the touch if I'm not using it.

12. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

I don't know what problems you guys are having? My iPod touch (2G) picks up and saves the password on my wireless network (Time Capsule dual band) every time. I too turn off SSID broadcast and encrypt with WPA2 password, and the iPod touch always remembers the settings, even after I turn off/on the wifi function, etc.

13. hammythomas macrumors newbie

If your ipod touch losses wifi than the only way to get connected is to manually key in the SSID, followed by the password. First, key in the actual SSID for your wireless connection. Next, choose a security mode.Simply type in some random characters, then tap on Join. You’ll most likely get an error message saying that the password is incorrect. However, magically enough, the device will still connect to the wireless access point using the above-mentioned details.

14. Fitter Man macrumors newbie

I have a 3G iPod Touch and it's started exhibiting the problem you describe. The weird thing is that I've owned this for about 18 months and the problem only started occurring after it was upgraded to iOS 4. OS versions 2, 3.0 and 3.1 never had a problem.

Nothing changed on the router over this time: the network doesn't broadcast its SSID and the password is unchanged.

If you had this problem or have it now, could you please navigate to Settings / General / About and post the version here. Also, indicate if you're still having the problem.

"4.0 (8A293)" and yes I'm having this problem.

15. battlekid macrumors regular

I'm on a 3Gen 32GB iOS 4.0 Jailbroken touch, and ive never had a problem.

Our network is a apple airport extreme, a few years old, hidden name and WPA2 19 diget ABC only passcode.

NEVER had ANY problems. Maybe it's a buggy ipod.

16. Fitter Man macrumors newbie

I may have figured out something relevant. Here's what I did.

I connected to my network by reentering my password/credentials, but after I did so, I went in and selected "Forget this Network" and then repeated the process.

I'm speculating that something was wrong/corrupted in the network settings for my network on the device and that deleting the network settings and recreating them, whatever was corrupted was removed. Prior to doing this, I was losing the network settings within a much shorter period of time, like 4-6 hours. It's been 36 hours and I haven't had the problem since I took these steps.

17. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

I don't have my touch anymore but I noticed this as well. With some of the older firmware updates I could easily connect to my schools massive wifi network with hidden SSID and a WEP key and it would auto reconnect. When I upgraded to 3.0 all hell broke loose, would not auto connect, when I tried to connect to public hotspots it would connect but I would have no Internet amongst my friends who had it. Not very with apples work then...:mad: