iPod touch Touch lost/stolen: tracing MAC address

jkiske

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
Recently, my touch was lost/stolen during my hockey practice :( , but I know the mac address for the device, so I was wondering if there was any way to see if that address has accessed any network recently, or if Apple keeps a database of the MAC addresses in use. If I could do this then i could trace the network and find out where it is being used.
Thanks
Jeff

Pathfinder55

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2007
Recently, my touch was lost/stolen during my hockey practice :( , but I know the mac address for the device, so I was wondering if there was any way to see if that address has accessed any network recently, or if Apple keeps a database of the MAC addresses in use. If I could do this then i could trace the network and find out where it is being used.
Thanks
Jeff
I'm not sure. But sorry to hear that you lost it. (btw) I play hockey too.

Comment

TonyHoyle

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Manchester, UK
Thanks
Jeff
Mac addresses normally don't leave the local network so are untracable. The exception is ipv6 EUI-64 addresses which contain the mac address, but the touch doesn't support ipv6 anyway so that's a nonstarter.

Comment

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
China
Mac addresses normally don't leave the local network so are untracable. The exception is ipv6 EUI-64 addresses which contain the mac address, but the touch doesn't support ipv6 anyway so that's a nonstarter.
finally someone who actually knows what they are talking about in reference to a MAC address. Thanks for your intelligent comment (seriously, no sarcasm)

Arisian

Comment

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Oct 16, 2006
finally someone who actually knows what they are talking about in reference to a MAC address. Thanks for your intelligent comment (seriously, no sarcasm)

Arisian
I know what you mean, everyone thinks MAC addresses are referring to the Mac computers, gets really annoying.

And sorry to hear about the iPod.

Comment

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
China
hehe, thats also true but I was refering to how people think that you can 'track' down just about anyone with an ip address. MAC addresses do uniquely identify the NIC but good luck finding the person.

anywho, last thing I want is to start a conversation about that again

Comment

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Oct 16, 2006
No, if you report the serial number to apple as stolen then will keep a look out if it is booked in for repair anywhere, or if anyone calls Apple Care, or anything like that.

:rolleyes:
Yeah, because someone will really register a stolen iPod with Apple... Reminds me of when someone stole a XBOX, realized they didnt take the power cable, phoned Microsoft for a new one, gave their details and XBOX serial number and got arrested :D

EDIT: Linkage

Comment

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
China
No, if you report the serial number to apple as stolen then will keep a look out if it is booked in for repair anywhere, or if anyone calls Apple Care, or anything like that.

:rolleyes:
ill show my ignorance but do they really do that?

Comment

jkiske

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
I already filed a police report, but who (at apple) do I call to report it as stolen. Is there a phone number for that or do I just go to the store.
Thanks for the help guys

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.