Touch, Mail, and Tiger

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Cammunicator, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Cammunicator macrumors newbie

Ever since I installed the Mail app I've had a problem with the mailer on my MacBook, running Tiger. First it was with Thunderbird, now it's with Mail. Ironically, the mail works damn near perfectly on my iPT.

What's happening is, occasionally Mail (on the MB) tells me the mail server didn't accept my password. I dutifully put in my password and check the Remember in Keychain box. Sometimes it goes through; sometimes not. Meantime, I do get the email message on my Touch. And, many times I receive email with Mail with no prompts; it just shows up. Prior to this, everything worked fine with Thunderbird, never a problem.

Apple advises deleting entries from Keychain and letting them re-populate; they even advise, failing that, delete the email account and start over. I've done both, several times. Now the Keychain doesn't even show the password entries!

I've entered all the account info correctly; must have as it always works on the Touch and always works on my MacBook, prompt or otherwise.

Any ideas? Have I given you enough to go on?

Gotta go, the emailer is bouncing in the dock. I know what it wants.
    Thanks, Mike

2. rhyndu macrumors regular

POP or IMAP account?

3. sers macrumors regular

Not sure about your Touch, but i had this problem on my iMac G5 running Tiger once. For the longest time, it kept asking me for my password, over and over again. I tried everything to get rid of it; nothing worked.

I finally called my ISP provider and asked them if they could solve my problem. They told me that they were doing some server maintenance / work and that this was most likely the cause of the problem as they had to keep resetting their servers (each time, it would ask me for the password). Finally, after a couple of days, it stopped asking me.

Hasn't done it since, but I'm just waiting for the next time they perform maintenance.......

4. Cammunicator thread starter macrumors newbie

ryhndu asked: "POP or IMAP account?" POP

As to sers' ISP theory... This has been going on for several days. I can't see even my ISP taking that long to do maintenance, but I guess time will tell.

5. Cammunicator thread starter macrumors newbie

Got the answer at Apple iPT forum...
    ---
    Hi Cammunicator: I have run into a similar problems as this while having two computers trying to access the email server at the same time. It might be worth a small experiment to see if the error occurs with the iPod touch turned off, and thus not able to access the email server. I believe it causes confusion at the server end when two email programs are tryng to access new mail at the same time
    Good Luck
    Stedman
    ---
    I now run one or the other and everything's working fine.