Touch MailApp Surprise

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ScottFitz, Apr 7, 2008.

1. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

So, I've got the mail app set up with my personal IMAP account, automatically checking every 15 min. I then turn off the wifi and a little while later put the touch into standby. A few days go by and I turn on my touch to find a lot of new messages in my inbox. The deal is that I wasn't in a wifi spot at the time.

Best I can figure out, the damn thing wakes up every 15 min, enables wifi if available and checks my mail and goes back into standby.

I thought, no way. Then it happened a 2nd time today in the airport. I was in Continental's president's club. They've got wifi that I had previously enabled on my touch a few weeks back. I get on the plane, having never even pulled my touch out of my computer bag, and there ya go... a bunch of new emails sitting on it from what could only have been access there at the club when I had no clue.

Cool. But sort of tripped me out a bit.:eek:

2. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

that's cool. normally ipod touch & iphone go to sleep mode when it turns off. of course wifi is also turned off, too. but like you do, when you set mail check automatic mode, your itouch neve sleep, and continues use battery life. end of the day, you find that battery drains so much than you think. in my case, I set mine with manual. so I only check emails when I turn it on. it's much more efficient. just test by your self. set automatic mail check, use internet constantly, sometimes listen to music. then you will end up with only few hours battery life.

3. ScottFitz thread starter macrumors 6502a

I had a full charge on Thursday AM. I didn't use from that point on until today in the plane and it had only eaten up 1/2 my battery indicator. Considering it was firing up every 15 min, I think that's pretty damn good for power conservation. Approx 100 hours, so that was about 400 quick mail checks. Not too shabby.