Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zsikand

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2008
A'right so i'm about to start on an online business and need something small (like the ipod touch) to access the internet and check on stuff at my house or when i go to grad school pretty soon. I was gonna buy it yesterday but then did some research and found that something might be coming in september.

My question is: is it worth buying a 16gb+ touch if i'm only gonna use the net and MAYBE listen to some music in it? Should i just buy the 8gb and be happy with it? PLUS i also found just now that the touch can't access flash sites etc...and i may need to do that. Any tips people?

I want the touch pretty bad but need some opinions!

zsikand

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2008
i was gonna delete the rest but then figured i needed a separate thread.

yorkshire

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2008
UK
Well it's possible Apple will drop the 8gb and lower the price of the 16gb, so you should just wait and see what comes out in a couple weeks time. The touch is great, you should get it. I am also waiting for the next gen.

longwood

macrumors regular
May 10, 2005
if you are planning on using at your house, why don't you just get a cheap laptop (eg. iBook G4). much bigger capacity, ability to check out flash sites and probably a little bit quicker.

Heather1

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2008
California
A'right so i'm about to start on an online business and need something small (like the ipod touch) to access the internet and check on stuff at my house or when i go to grad school pretty soon. I was gonna buy it yesterday but then did some research and found that something might be coming in september.

My question is: is it worth buying a 16gb+ touch if i'm only gonna use the net and MAYBE listen to some music in it? Should i just buy the 8gb and be happy with it? PLUS i also found just now that the touch can't access flash sites etc...and i may need to do that. Any tips people?

I want the touch pretty bad but need some opinions!

I would not recommend the touch if you want it for business (seriously, wth??). It doesnt support flash or java and you have to be in the wifi area to use the internet. If you don't mind the contract (you shouldn't, since it's for your business) i'd say the iphone 3G (which doesn't support flash or java either but it's fast), the Nokia N-series, or the blackberry. OOOOOrr, this kickass baby http://www.the01phone.com/ :eek:

zsikand

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2008
Well, thing is i already have a 'pretty sweet' laptop which is not a mac..(sorry guys). I was thinking of using my own laptop but my work will require just check orders online and that's it. I would hate to start my laptop just for 4 minutes and then have to shut it back down. Hence decided that i MAY just need a touch.

the 01 phone...omg..is that thing for real?!? :p. I guess its just me trying to spoil myself a bit while trying not to spend alot of money haha.

As for the iphone, i honestly don't like it.i think it's too much stuff packed into one device and i kinda like my current cell phone since chances are there are less chances of it being stolen than an iphone :)

CSIrules

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2008
Just get it now. If all you need is internet and music, then nothing in September is gonna change anything:(. If the Touch will ever support flash then it will be a software update which you can buy for your existing device. As for the 8 or 16GB,that depends on how much music you have.

By the way, the 01 phone is a fake Yep, if a publishing website can create a phone with a laser keyboard then I guess I invented a laptop that also serves as a car toilet seat.

zsikand

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2008
aww see..now that just makes me sad.haha. wth can't it support flash right now? doesn't make sense.

and yea it does seem wise to just buy it. but no offense though..i'd rather just wait for 2 more weeks (or hopefully less than that and tomorrow would be just fine with us) and see what's up with the whole touch thing. i guess i'll continue posting and stuff and tell you guys what i ended up buying very soon : D

longwood

macrumors regular
May 10, 2005
Well, thing is i already have a 'pretty sweet' laptop which is not a mac..(sorry guys). I was thinking of using my own laptop but my work will require just check orders online and that's it. I would hate to start my laptop just for 4 minutes and then have to shut it back down. Hence decided that i MAY just need a touch.

the 01 phone...omg..is that thing for real?!? :p. I guess its just me trying to spoil myself a bit while trying not to spend alot of money haha.

As for the iphone, i honestly don't like it.i think it's too much stuff packed into one device and i kinda like my current cell phone since chances are there are less chances of it being stolen than an iphone :)

for $400 you can get a pretty nice apple laptop that you can put to sleep when you aren't using it - then you wouldn't have to start it up. it has been easily 6 months since i started my computer from a cold startup.

onegirlcreative

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2008
Colorado
I would not recommend the touch if you want it for business (seriously, wth??). It doesnt support flash or java and you have to be in the wifi area to use the internet. If you don't mind the contract (you shouldn't, since it's for your business) i'd say the iphone 3G (which doesn't support flash or java either but it's fast), the Nokia N-series, or the blackberry. OOOOOrr, this kickass baby http://www.the01phone.com/ :eek:

Oooh, that is sweet!!!!! I saw that in WIRED magazine one month and thought the laser keyboard was amazing.

Do you have any idea what carrier it's going to? God only knows if Sprint actually gets a decent phone. Ugh!!!

EDIT: I guess I didn't see that the 01 Phone was a fake!!! Bummer. Got my hopes up, too.

zsikand

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2008
haha. that's what they're saying that it's prolly for sprint (if it is real at all).

and the whole laptop thing. Yes, true that. I do that a lot too. But honestly i really want to buy either an iphone or the touch just because of the 'touch' factor.lets see..

onegirlcreative

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2008
Colorado
haha. that's what they're saying that it's prolly for sprint (if it is real at all).

and the whole laptop thing. Yes, true that. I do that a lot too. But honestly i really want to buy either an iphone or the touch just because of the 'touch' factor.lets see..

I have been contemplating it, as well. Since I am in my contract with Sprint for another 2 years, I am dying for something like the iPHone, and I guess the iPod Touch is close enough.

Heather1

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2008
California
By the way, the 01 phone is a fake Yep, if a British publishing site can create a phone with a laser keyboard then I guess I invented a laptop that also serves as a car toilet seat.

EDIT: I guess I didn't see that the 01 Phone was a fake!!! Bummer. Got my hopes up, too.

Ppl just assume the thing is fake but they have no actual proof. Whatever it is, theres only a few weeks away. Let's see what's gonna happen... :)

zsikand

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2008
Ppl just assume the thing is fake but they have no actual proof. Whatever it is, theres only a few weeks away. Let's see what's gonna happen... :)

You're so right. What if its the next big thing? Not that it would make a difference to me if i'm wrong and people point fingers. The british aren't as dumb as we think they are; i've been there and trust me..very friggin smart most of the time.

so quit assuming like a bunch of idiots and just wait for what..25 more days?

onegirlcreative

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2008
Colorado
You're so right. What if its the next big thing? Not that it would make a difference to me if i'm wrong and people point fingers. The british aren't as dumb as we think they are; i've been there and trust me..very friggin smart most of the time.

so quit assuming like a bunch of idiots and just wait for what..25 more days?

I agree. I drive a British car (Land Rover Discovery) and it's the BEST!!!! I can't imagine driving anything else right now, especially when my last 7 cars were American. Oops, did I say that out loud??? :eek:

If it is in fact a legitimate phone, you bet I will be checking it out, especially if Sprint is the carrier. I just know that Sprint needs to do something to increase their volume/sales.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.