touch on bottom of screen stopped

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by polygial, Jul 14, 2008.

1. polygial macrumors newbie

I recently updated to 2.0. I installed two apps and the next day the bottom half of the dock (bottom .5 inches of the screen) doesn't respond to touch anymore. So this causes several problems, it allows me to slide to unlock, but no access to dock buttons. I restored the phone, no luck. I called apple, of course the phone is 2 weeks out of warranty. I tried to restore to 1.1.4 but it doesn't work, I assume because of the new firmware apple installed with the update. The apple guy says it is a hardware issue, but I have a feeling it might work again with a downgrade. Any ideas?

2. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

this is the infamous dead strip problem
    i had one as well, and all I did was take it to the apple store, make a genius bar appointment, show it to the worker, and they replaced my phone right there. so now i have a mint condition 1st gen iphone that i can sell :)

i think that because its such a big problem that apple will still replace yours even though you are out of warranty
    you should take it in and give it a try. the worst that can happen is you find out you have to find another solution

and also, downgrading WILL NOT fix this problem. it is a HARDWARE issue, and has nothing to do with the firmware. in addition, downgrading from 2.0 to 1.1.4 is EXTREMELY confusing and sometimes requires multiple computers to work. (I have done it on my 1st gen iPhone, so yes, I know the process)

3. esco macrumors 6502

esco

even though it's not a firmware problem, it's weird that the problem happened after he upgraded to 2.0. I got the 3G iPhone on Friday and gave my mom my old iPhone. I updated the firmware to 2.0 on Saturday and activated the phone w/ her SIM card. On Sunday, the 4 row down of apps would not respond to my touch (worked perfectly before.) I went to the Apple Store today and got it replaced (had 6 days left on the warranty.)

4. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

it may be that because 2.0 is such a big change, the update process caused such a strain on the already failing hardware that it caused the dead strip

mine occurred after consecutive jailbreaks/resets

5. esco macrumors 6502

esco

yeah, sounds plausible. At least Apple exchanged it within minutes when I arrived :)

6. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

i know
    their customer service is excellent

all of my friends who have had broken phones have had to go without them for weeks waiting for replacement

i had to wait an hour (drive time+wait for first available appointment)

7. afbuckeye macrumors member

The same thing happened to me. I feel like its just a coincidence that it happened after I updated to 2.0 but maybe it actually did set it off. My iphone was perfect until then and now I have the infamous dead strip.

Just like anything else that happens in my life it was great timing because my warranty ran out a few weeks ago. :) Anyway, I haven't tried going in to see if they would replace it without the warranty. I doubt it. Anybody tried?