Touch on Refurb Site.. 1 or 2 G?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by rshanahan, Nov 7, 2008.

1. rshanahan macrumors regular

It seems that since Apple re-designed the refurb store, the Touch refurbs no longer say 1st generation (like it did before). If one compares the pricing, the discounts seem to be sort of based on current 2g touches (8gb, $170, $30 savings, but it is really a $50 savings off current 8g touch).

If you select one to get more details (or buy) there is a little blurb on the right hand side to visit the Itunes store to BUY the 2.1 Iphone software update. That's telling me that these are in fact 1G touches.

I need to purchase one or two for Christmas presents and do not want the 1g's.

Thoughts? Any way to verify which gen they are? There is no mention of an internal speaker or physical volume controls.

2. pcortez macrumors member

i do not believe the 2nd generation ipod touch is in the refurbished store yet. you are correct, there is no mention of the new features, it's clearly a picture of the first generation. also, if you notice in the store, they have two generations of shuffles (different colors). you have to scroll to the very bottom where there is a special section for older generation. it may be a while until they clear 1g ipod touch inventory and start putting the 2g refurbished ones up.

3. saberahul macrumors 68040

I am quite positive they are 1g's as apple won't post the 2g's on refurb yet. I agree, they are probably trying to get rid of the old touches so they are probably 1g's.

4. pcortez macrumors member

it's apple. you want the latest and greatest, gotta pay. if you absolutely need to purchase ipod touch soon, then you need to weigh your options: are the new features absolutely needed or not. if someone was buying me an ipod touch, i wouldn't have a care in the world as to what generation they bought me, and if they can buy me something that nice and save money, then everyone wins (including apple).

5. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

The specifications for the refurb iPod Touches I just looked at in the Apple store list a battery life of 22 hours of audio playback. That matches the battery life specified for the 1st generation iPod Touches according to Apple's support website.

Their 2nd generation iPod Touches are specified for a battery life of 36 hours of audio playback.

6. rshanahan thread starter macrumors regular

after my post I did look at the current touch specs and thought the battery life was quite longer on the new one. I agree the refurbs are 1G's. Thanks for your input/comments.

This is a gift for Christmas and I def want to give the 2g, I can wait and if it comes down to it I'll buy new, just looking to save a few $$$!!

7. EmiLy™ macrumors newbie

You do know that the packaging looks like crap & not gift worthy right?
    Cause if you're gifting it, I think you should buy new. :)

8. Digipimp macrumors regular

if you feel like waiting apple will probably give a slight discount on the new ones around black friday time.

9. Cali Mac 29 macrumors newbie

1st Gen

I just bought mine before they did the rev on the refurbished store and it is the 1st Gen. They don't have any 2GB on the refurb site yet.

10. SouthernMac macrumors member

11. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

No, refurb 1G's come with 1.1.5 (the alternative released for people that didn't want to upgrade); you still have to pay for the 2.0 software.

12. SouthernMac macrumors member

Thanks!