Touch or iPhone 4 (Development)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Zeppin, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Zeppin, Jan 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2014

Zeppin macrumors newbie

I'm a student taking an iOS development course at my college. As part of the class we're required to develop an iOS app and I've elected to develop an app for a local historical society. The app that they would like would be heavily reliant on GPS and compatible with recent iOS devices.

As I don't currently own an iOS device I'm looking to purchase one to begin development with, including pulling GPS data for the relevant locations in which the app would function. I don't have the money for a cell/data contract, nor would I be able to afford a contract-less iPhone 5. As such I'm considering either an iPod Touch 5th-gen with a Bad Elf GPS device or an iPhone 4s without a contract.

Which would you guys recommend and why?

2. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Well it seems the 5th gen iPod touch makes a lot more sence for you.

3. Jacksonc macrumors 6502

Jacksonc

If you want the iPod touch, you could buy the 32gb refurbished from Apple for $219, which is a great deal.

4. Zeppin thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies - I think you're right, Doctor11; hearing it from someone else makes me more comfortable making the investment.

I had been looking at used hardware but I hadn't yet thought to look on Apple's own site - not terribly clever on my part. That makes this project far more feasible.

5. headsh0t95 macrumors regular

I think that a 5th Gen touch + Bad Elf GPS is the same price as the iPhone 4S off-contract. The 4S has then a better camera, the same processor, built-in gps but a smaller screen and the 30-pin connector. Decide what you need - if 4 inch-device testing is important get the touch, else get the iPhone.