Touch Screen Fix, Software or Hardware?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by lionsnwings, Sep 28, 2007.

?

Screen Fix, Hardware or Software related for Week 38 and later.

Poll closed Oct 12, 2007.
  1. Software

13 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Hardware

13 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. lionsnwings macrumors newbie

Do you think the fix Apple implemented was Hardware related or Software related?

We know the fix for week 37 and previous was Software, but what about for the 38 and newer models?

2. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

The fix for week 38+ was a hardware fix or they would have just released the 1.1.1 firmware update sooner. The firmware update that fixed broken screens checked the serial number and if it was effected then the firmware done some clever tricks with the gamma and made everything display fine.

3. mithykal macrumors regular

Surely the fix can only have been software related otherwise the touch would have to be opened up to fix hardware, you can make hardware run better with software, but I wouldnt say it was a hardware fix.

4. adauge macrumors regular

adauge

It fixed the negative blacks on my week 36 but now my pictures look grainy so I'm saying they just upped the contrast.

5. jockmock macrumors regular

thread starter has no idea what hardware is. Of course the fix is 100% software related, because the hardware itself isn't changed

6. uburoibob macrumors regular

So... how do those same photos look on a week 38?

Bob

7. jaypee68 macrumors regular

I just compared the Jay-Z album cover image on my iPod touch vs my boss's iPhone this morning, and even with yesterday's software update my week 38 iPod Touch's screen is still very inferior to the iPhone. This is a hardware issue, and it still isn't resolved from my point of view.

8. WILLDOGS macrumors regular

Isn't the iPhone made with a different manufactures LCD? If so, we should stop comparing the two.

9. RedDragon870503 macrumors 6502

RedDragon870503

Agreed. The iPod Touch and the iPhone are supposed to have identical screens. If you disagree you are dead wrong.

Before you say something dumb like the iPhone is more expensive or different than the iPod Touch please watch and listen to Steve Jobs releasing the Touch:

http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/s83522y/event/index.html?internal=g4h5jl83a

10. jaypee68 macrumors regular

I was under the impression that the screen was exactly the same, I may be wrong though. In any case my screen was still substandard and my touch went back to Best Buy this afternoon.

11. RedDragon870503 macrumors 6502

RedDragon870503

12. wfuggle macrumors member

13. pflau macrumors 6502

The iPhone and the iPod Touch have different screens. The differences are:

1. The iPod screen has higher pixel density, even though the video resolution is the same (please re-read this statement and perhaps do some research if you do not grasp this concept immediately)

2. The iPod screen is thinner, this has been verified by a tear-down done soon after the iPod Touch came out.

Now I am not making any comment as to what the iPod is supposed to have, just what the iPod Touch does have.

14. adauge macrumors regular

adauge

Not sure, but I'll let you know as soon as best buy has stock that I can exchange for. I know they weren't grainy before the update because I show off pictures so much, and the first time I went to look at them after the update I was stunned by the difference. I thought I was in the clear because the negative black seemed to go away.

Also I thought the OP was saying what do you thinking the fix will have to be a software or hardware. That's how I voted at least. I don't think he meant what was the update but what needs to be done. At least that's how I read it.

15. grandeabc macrumors member

grandeabc

Ipod Touch 1.1.1 firmware with negative image

When I play a video, sometimes, my iPod Touch shows a negative image, even it keeps the 1.1.1 (3A110a) firmware. I received this iPod by Post, from Japan Apple online store, on Oct.04, thus should not be with this troubles. It has happened already 3 times with me, and if fix itself after rebooting its system. Now, I don't know if it's happen with other iPod Touch owners (1.1.1 firmware), or if it's only with mine one. Should I complain at the Apple Store? Any one can give an advice, pls? Thank you!
    See at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNXf8zZGnBo

16. lionsnwings thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, you should take it back.
    There are other posts that can help you determine if your screen is bad. Search for Touch Screen Test.

17. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy