Touch Screen for next OS X?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jcal0820, Mar 27, 2013.

1. jcal0820 macrumors member

jcal0820

With Microsoft really pushing touch screen for Windows 8 and likely all its future OS's and lineup, is it likely Apple will follow suit in its next OSX... & if this is a good idea? Personally, I've come accustomed to touch screen on all mobile devices, and intrigued with a notebook/desktop with that capability as well. Anyone tried or own a Windows 8 on a touchscreen laptop/desktop, & if so, how's it working out?

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I guess I wouldn't rule it out entirely. I've been using an iPad since "day one" and often find myself reaching for screen elements when I should be reaching for a mouse or trackpad.

I have a trackpad on my Macbook Pro and it is excellent. I really enjoy multi-finger gestures and prefer them so much I only connect a mouse when I'm working with an image in gimp or seashore. I find it a bit awkward that I can 2-finger swipe left and right on my MBP trackpad to go "back" and "forward" in the Chrome browser on OSX but if I try 2-finger swipes in iOS nothing happens. I do predict that even if Apple does decide to add touchscreen to OSX, they will continue to have a trackpad.

3. printz macrumors regular

No, no, no, no and no. For these reasons:

0) It's a Windows 8 gimmick. Keep reusing Windows features to a minimum.
    1) I never reach the desktop monitor comfortably
    2) I refuse to touch the laptop display, it's fragile as it is. And I usually can't reach the laptop lid either, due to how I sit at the desk.
    3) I don't want Apple to inflate the MacBook prices even further by making the displays touch-compatible and less fragile.

OS X's main attraction is how little it looks like iOS despite being the same brand.