Touch screen instead of keyboard on MacBook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kissmo, Sep 15, 2011.

1. kissmo macrumors 6502a

Hey guys,

I mean not to start a rumor but I recently I have purchased an iPad and I have already a MBP.

After using both for a while I realized that this trend with Apple combining iOS with the OS for desktops and laptops may derive into building for the future MBPs with touch screens instead of physical keyboards.

The more I thought, the more made some sense. Imagine using iMovie for example and trimming - video that you see on the screen - on the touch keyboard that changes to different controls when using the app.

The same would apply for example for photoshop let's say or an Internet browser, or color correction in Fina Cut. Or special keys and controls when playing a game.

Combining gestures with a touch screen keyboard would deffinately bring together these concepts.

Seeing windows 8 also drives me to believe that the era of real physical keyboards will slowly come to an end.

What are your opinions? Maybe you can share some thoughts.

Cheers.

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

not sure my Grandma has one of those touchscreen PCs and they are neat at first but you still need a mouse and keyboard to do anything productively

3. cfII macrumors regular

Nobody wants JUST an on screen keyboard. I do however see touch screen Mac intergration as a matter of time

4. kissmo thread starter macrumors 6502a

LOL well iPad is for grandmas then :)

5. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

lol what? no she has a PC one of those all built into the monitor ones, it is a touch screen but you still have a keyboard and mouse attached to it, the touch screen is neat for clicking icons to open the application but not practical for typing emails, word docs ect

6. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

I had a vision like this once, except it wasn't a part of the screen. It was more like Acer Iconia, but without the screen.
    I imagined that instead of tactile keys, there would be touch-sensitive pane of glass or some other material, with the keyboard layout permanently etched onto it. The backlight would be operated in the same way fiber optics work; LEDs on the edge of the screen would shine white light through the etched glass, and wherever there's an etching, the light would scatter and a bright outline of the keys would shine.

The same could also be applied to the wireless keyboards for desktop Macs. Instead of a thin aluminum keyboard, it would be made of glass!

Would be awesome if someone actually made this kind of thing, but it would cost a fortune...

7. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

I still want the sane keyboard the current pro has, but would be down with a iTouch like track pad; in Retnia of course.

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

What's an iTouch?

Ergonomically speaking I don't think it would be that great an idea, people are too used to mash away on a physical keyboard. Such a screen would also be quite a battery drainer, and we all know how much Apple likes battery life.

Although the idea is probably feasible, I don't think it would hold it's own.

9. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Why not just connect the iPad to the keyboard dock? Sounds like what you want.