Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TyWahn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2003
So my watch was locked on my wrist. Apparently my shirt entered too many passcode attempts and locked me out of my watch until I completely erased and reset it using a backup.
I did this and when it was done, the touch screen no longer worked. I can't swipe, I can't press, I can't do anything, It was totally spontaneous.
I tried another backup restore, the same thing. I set it up as a brand new watch, same thing.
So now I'm stuck with a very expensive watch that does nothing but tell time.
Has this happened to anyone else? And yes, I have hard reset it a hundred times.
Thanks for any insight you may give me.
Ty

edhchoe

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2011
My watch sometimes logs me out on the wrist. I am guessing that is because I don't wear it tight enough. It feels comfortable to me but the momentary detachment of the skin from the sensor makes it log out requiring my passcode to put in. I didn't have this problem when I had a 38mm AW3. that extra circumference with AW4 40mm makes me wear the watch that much looser and this keeps happening occasionally. I wish Apple would make an alternative size strap to compensate for the new watch size. Idiot Apple engineers!
Or they could let me choose higher tolerance setting for the detachment time like 5 seconds so that if the skin is not in contact for 1 or 2 seconds, the watch will still keep me logged on.
It is too bad for the OP...

oeagleo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
West Jordan, Utah
My watch sometimes logs me out on the wrist. I am guessing that is because I don't wear it tight enough. It feels comfortable to me but the momentary detachment of the skin from the sensor makes it log out requiring my passcode to put in. I didn't have this problem when I had a 38mm AW3. that extra circumference with AW4 40mm makes me wear the watch that much looser and this keeps happening occasionally. I wish Apple would make an alternative size strap to compensate for the new watch size. Idiot Apple engineers!
Or they could let me choose higher tolerance setting for the detachment time like 5 seconds so that if the skin is not in contact for 1 or 2 seconds, the watch will still keep me logged on.
It is too bad for the OP...

I use the Nylon Loop strap, infinitely adjustable, and truly comfortable. I've even got some clones from Amazon that are amazingly close to the original $50 Apple straps. That would be the answer to your problem, rather than suggesting Apple redesign their straps. :)

Reactions: harriska2

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
I use the $10 off brand sports loop from amazon. It is velcro and not sleek looking but it works. A $10 investment to see if that helps might be a good test of sorts. My son wears his 4 way up on his wrist because he doesn't like it tight and it still seems to work ok.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
Have you contacted Apple Support, or taken it in to an Apple Store?

I wish Apple would make an alternative size strap to compensate for the new watch size.
Can't say for the AW4, but my AW0 and AW3 came with an optional/shorter band in the box. I overlooked it with the AW0, but it was there, still in the box.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.