Touch Screen Keyboard?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nightcap965, Mar 17, 2018.

1. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

Just read this article in Computerworld about why we'll learn to love laptops with screens instead of physical keyboards, and it's nagging at me. I have an almost complete collection of Apple products, including the 12.9" iPad Pro. I use it every day, but when I want to write something (like this note), I generally head for my mid-2014 MacBook Pro. I've been a touch typist for decades, and I quite literally organize my thoughts by typing.

I looked at a new MacBook Pro at the Apple Store the other day, and while the new keyboard is flatter than I'm used to, it seemed usable. The fact that the function keys have been replaced by the Touchbar didn't bother me - I usually have to look at them anyway. Long gone are the days when my fingers had memorized the Alt-Ctrl-Shift Function combinations for WordPerfect. But I just can't see replacing the rest of the keyboard. It will turn us all into hunt-and-peck two-finger typists.

Am I missing something here?

2. icymountain macrumors 6502

So far, I can hardly use any touch screen (including the touch bar of my 2017 15" rMBP), so I cannot see how I would adapt to a screen keyboard. When I type a few words on my iPad screen, I have to type slowly or I make a huge amount of typos due to the lack of feedback. So, I would say that either you are missing nothing, or I miss the same thing as you do.