Touch Screen Macbook Pro with Retina Display?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Spontida, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Spontida macrumors regular

Would you buy one if this was made?

I would really like it if apple released a touch screen mac with "new" features.

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Fingerprints. Bad ergonomics. Increased price. First gen problems. OSX not optimized for touchscreens.

3. DGPMaluco macrumors regular

End of discussion

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

This has been argued to death in numerous threads. Not going to happen soon, if ever. Too many issues to make it worthwhile.

5. maxosx macrumors 68020

Currently that's not likely to happen. A decision Apple got right.

6. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Yes, this pretty much sums it up. The Mavericks release with it's improved collaboration with the Apple ecosystem (iOS) without iOS-ifying it shows Apple knows what it is doing and is not headed towards the mistakes Microsoft is making with the debacle that is Windows 8 (the metro part). Touch is for iOS. OS X is a desktop/laptop OS for keyboards, mice, and magic trackpads. Different tools, different operating systems.

7. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

1. Think about how often you have to wipe your iPhone/iPad on your pants or sleeves to clean the screen.

2. Now try doing that with your 15" laptop.

Dumb idea.

__

8. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

9. jread macrumors regular

This is exactly what I thought of as well. I am a compulsive screen-wiper; I can't stand smudges on any of my mobile screens. Dealing with this on a laptop would pretty much drive me completely insane. I've gone off on people at work for touching my desktop screens when they're pointing at something.

10. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Interestingly, Apple has actually been working on a fully touch-enabled version of OSX for over 5 years now. They've been working on new APIs and frameworks for building apps that work really well on touch screens as well as things like touchscreen gesture support.

It's called iOS.

I don't see how or why Apple would release any touchscreen devices that aren't running iOS or some derivative.

11. Haxley macrumors regular

Haxley

I've been using a Mac since the first gen Intel MBPs. When I walk to into BestBuy and am waiting on service, I hang-out in the Windows section. I can't believe all their computers have multi-touch screens. I mean isn't this common sense? Imagine what the youngsters who've grown up with iPads and iPhones are gonna think when shopping for their first laptop or desktop. WTF you can't touch the screen? Oh this Windows computer is actually pretty cool.

12. sarakn macrumors 6502a

sarakn

No. Would definitely not get touchscreen anything right now. Trackpad/mouse is good enough for me.

13. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Apple's trackpad is their touchscreen. Best in the business.

14. Rick-ITA macrumors regular

They can make an i7 quadcore 17" retina MBP with touchscreen, sell it at 1000$ and in any case I will buy the Air instead.
    Touchscreen is not for notebook and windows 8 is a big reason to move to OSX.

15. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Well, for $1000 would take the 17" rMBP :)

16. Broadus macrumors 6502a

With about 10 days as an rMBP user under my belt ;) (after 25 years with PC's), the above statement communicates my sentiments about a touchscreen on MacBooks. The trackpad alone overcomes my qualms about the transition to OS X from Windows.