Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pushateg7

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
Wheeling, IL
This is the SECOND time this has happened to me. I'm able to use the iPod touch as usual the night before surfing the net, watching a show, and listening to some music. I shut off the device for the night.

The next morning, the ipod turns on as normal. But when the Home screen pops up or I try to "slide to unlock," I cannot touch anything. I try to repeatedly tap on anything possible, no reaction.

I am not putting heavy stress on the device when this occurs, I am usually always using one program at a time too. No program crashes or anything of that nature before this "inactive touching" (a.k.a. everything on the screen that I touch, does not react at all!) occurs.

The first time I had this happen, which was this past Saturday morning, I did a full restore and it worked fine until today. I'm freakin pissed, and very very annoyed.

So my question is, has this happened to anyone at all? I set up an appointment with an Apple Genius for tonight afterwork.

edit: I have also tried, numerous times, hard resetting the ipod touch. No dice. :(

duraace

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2006
This is the SECOND time this has happened to me. I'm able to use the iPod touch as usual the night before surfing the net, watching a show, and listening to some music. I shut off the device for the night.

The next morning, the ipod turns on as normal. But when the Home screen pops up or I try to "slide to unlock," I cannot touch anything. I try to repeatedly tap on anything possible, no reaction.

I am not putting heavy stress on the device when this occurs, I am usually always using one program at a time too. No program crashes or anything of that nature before this "inactive touching" (a.k.a. everything on the screen that I touch, does not react at all!) occurs.

The first time I had this happen, which was this past Saturday morning, I did a full restore and it worked fine until today. I'm freakin pissed, and very very annoyed.

So my question is, has this happened to anyone at all? I set up an appointment with an Apple Genius for tonight afterwork.

edit: I have also tried, numerous times, hard resetting the ipod touch. No dice. :(

Does not sound good. Has never happened to me. I'd go for a replacement.

pushateg7

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
Wheeling, IL
Does not sound good. Has never happened to me. I'd go for a replacement.

It isn't, it's very frustrating. I don't know how people have had the patience to go through multiple models. More power to them.

I'm really fed up already, considering this is my 2nd model, and I'm 2 inches closer to the iPhone.

I loved this device, but after putting on a ton of albums and videos AGAIN to have it break down a couple days later......that's a big no-no.

edit: my first model was a week 37, and this most recent model is a week 38.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
I'm really fed up already, considering this is my 2nd model, and I'm 2 inches closer to the iPhone.
some people might say thats exactly what apple wants you to do, :), however, remember the problem you encountered probably can happen to iPhone too.

duraace

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2006
It isn't, it's very frustrating. I don't know how people have had the patience to go through multiple models. More power to them.

I loved this device, but after putting on a ton of albums and videos AGAIN to have it break down a couple days later......that's a big no-no.

edit: my first model was a week 37, and this most recent model is a week 38.

"a ton of ... videos"

Is it possible that one of the video's is hooping the software? I would expect turning the Touch off and on again would clear it for a different video (don't try the same video again ... then if everything is OK, try the suspect video to see if it breaks again).

California King

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2007
Consider giving it another chance. Get it exchanged and if there is absolutely anything that is wrong with it, return it and get your money back.

zepharus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
I will sell you my week 37. It has every problem in the book. total piece of garbage... youll love it :)

pushateg7

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
Wheeling, IL
I will sell you my week 37. It has every problem in the book. total piece of garbage... youll love it :)

lol that made me laugh.

that is actually one thing that I fear. My current model is gorgeous, screen is great (well minus not being able to actually touch anything on it!!!). I'm not looking forward to possibly getting a new model with dead pixels and such.

jaythalilninja

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2007
ipod touch screen wont unlock!

hi..i'm currently experiencing the same problem you had on your touch. sometimes it works absolutely fine and today when i put it on, i could'nt get the slide to unlock to work at all! resetting it and also having restored it twice hasnt helped. i have a week 38 ipod purchased from currys in the uk. it is still not available to buy in the uk yet in any stores, however apple gave some ipod touches to currys, and i managed to get one through my friend who works there. anyway ive also come across something rather strange, when my ipod touch first didnt unlock, i went to uni and after having washed my hands, it unlocked straightaway!! nd i also read in a digg forum that washing your hands will help..so ive tried this again but its not working ): any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks also in advance, bye

druck

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2007
That sucks man, I actually had this happen to me too but it happened straight out of the box. I kept thinking I was doing something wrong or maybe 1.1.1 broke it (I updated and loaded some stuff on before even touching the iPod itself) so I restored it to a fresh v1.1.1 install and then it STILL didn't work. I started typing a thread on here to ask for help and just before I clicked submit I decided to try again. It worked... Don't ask; it hasn't happened since.

druck

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2007
OK what the hell. I post today about how it's been working great since the first day and now it's doing it again. adslf;jasdlfl;akfjs I think I'll be heading to the apple store tomorrow :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.