Touch Screen on Next MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by whoknows87, Sep 7, 2012.

1. whoknows87 macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

I was chatting with one of the employees @ Apple about new products coming out, and he was hinting ( I doubt he knows anything) just pulling my leg, that the Maybe the next MBP can have some sort of a touch screen? and an IPhone that is probably way different than the leaks that popped also one that charges wirelessly ...

2. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Apple has publicly stated many times at various events that they think touchscreen laptops are a terrible idea ergonomically. That's not to say that they will never make one (see the video iPod), but that it is incredibly unlikely.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

And I agree with them...I would never purchase a touch-screen laptop. It just doesn't make sense in that form factor.

The iPad? Sure, works fine, but I don't want fingermarks all over my MBA MBP that require constant cleaning etc.

4. whoknows87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

5. leman macrumors 604

There are 10000 threads on this topic. Apple does not like touch screen on a non-tablet machine, because Apple's hardware designers are actually competent. A touchscreen laptop is a gimmick - it adds to the price of the machine with no advantage whatsoever.

6. barbz41086 macrumors member

Dirty finger prints on my retina display, no thanks.

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

It's hard enough with the iPad, and an MBP with touchscreen would be awful.

8. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

That was your first mistake. Retail employees know less than you do about upcoming product releases. And, Cupertino employees are bound by a NDA. May as well have been discussing all the possibilities with a grocery store clerk. ;)

9. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

10. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

That does not sounds very appealing - isn't that what a tablet is, essentially? Why would you need a keyboard and mouse if it was a touch screen laptop? It wouldn't even be considered a typical "computer" anymore.

11. spdntrxi macrumors regular

Only way I would ever go with a touch screen on something as large as laptop screen is if they invent a way to never leave fingerprints.

12. vpro, Sep 8, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2012

vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

i don't know.........

i'm a girl
    and i'm a really practical thinker & shaker
    anyways......

when i am working on a lot of projects on my lappie here..
    i just wish i could reach up onto that screen and tap something or a few things together and drag them, shrink and re-size things, flip things, toss things, write and select ALL things, etc etc etc etc things!!!

because with the mouse or track pad, there are a lot of combination of things you have to do in order to perform a few simple tasks with the least amount of gestures and clicks you know?! moving that cursor or pointer around a large screen is a waste of time in these ever advancing technological times(?)

when you are really busy working and you wanna get lots of things done in little time, you shouldn't CARE if your screen is all smudged with finger prints, eeeewww, come on that is just girly! HAHAHAAA!
    that is why they threw in that cloth thingy, didn't you highlight that on your 'un-boxing videos' duh!

i don't see fingerprints or care about them when i'm WORKING on my mbps, who looks at a screen when nothing is on it, unless you are some sort of a paranoid-narcissistic-perfectionist and you care too much about how you and your 'things' appear to others, then i understand your predicaments - but as for me I COULD CARE LESS, cos I'm the one getting a lot of work DONE much quicker! when i am done, i go for the cloth and wipe-wipe-wipe, all clean again for when i open up that lid again to do more productive work.

i like the dedicated units 'tablets' but i also want that 'touch' ability on all my devices, that feeling of being ONE with your technology is important to me as a musician, so important even more as a human, i don't want to feel that the technology is apart from me, i want it to be a part of me!

i don't know...... so, the more i think about it and the more i naturally wanna reach into my work and interact more with it, makes me wanna hope for a smart touch laptop, nothing like what is already out there, they are lame.

it is about integrating all revolutionary technology together, rather than specialized pieces here and there, i think it is great that the ipad is a stand alone, adding a keyboard jacket thingy to it is ridiculous - these people turning it into a minI-padpro-top this and that is dumb! it should remain just what it is a useless piece of techno crap. apple used to be FOR inventive professionals, now it's just aiming at the teens and the CONSUMER gadget market; now you'll find macs next to LG appliances and dishwasher/slowcooker/vacuum 3 in 1 units right? but wait... wait for it....... in the form-factor of a microwave, you know those small light bulb ones that little kids get on Christmas way back when, so they can pretend to bake an all egg cake or a crusty bun in there?

where are the PRO-inventive market? we're still producing work on 17" 2007 mbps thank you very much, we're left in the dust, or are we?!

revolutionary -- yeaaaaaaaaah!

^_^