Touch Software inards

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mekopolis, Feb 16, 2008.

1. mekopolis macrumors regular

So i've been dying to see what is inside the touch (software wise) and how it is constructed...

[​IMG]

its a little not what i was expecting
    but from what i can tell, it is broken down into photo caches, itunes content, and under downloads is a manifest with some xml tags refering to apple.

the Nikita folder (weird name?) is a compressed zip that includes certificates and playlist structures and quicktime codecs

just thought this was interesting

any insight?

2. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Wikipedia says Nikita is "a Unisex name (male in Russian and Finnish, female in French and various Indian Languages)."

Perhaps one of the major programmers stuck his name on there and no one bothered to change it?

3. davidy macrumors 6502

davidy

How did you find that file tree?

4. mekopolis thread starter macrumors regular

Well I am patiently waiting for the SDK to be released, because i want to be able to put High Resolution Images (in my case High Res Topo Maps) on the touch, but currently the touch resizes them for optimization

I was reading a post on here, about retrieving files from the touch with the use of software called:
    TouchCopy
    found here
    http://www.wideanglesoftware.com/touchcopy/index.html

and thought heck why not try, to see if i could put high res pictures on, but in the process it exposed the file structure and allowed me to look at the files on the touch