Touch to iphone migration

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by nydepot, Feb 2, 2010.

1. nydepot macrumors newbie

I'm getting an iphone soon for work. I've got a touch. I know itunes will handle syncing my apps, music, contacts, ical, etc. What about the data that goes with all my 3rd party apps? When I connect the phone for the first time, I understand it will ask if it's new or if I want to restore. Should I chose restore and have it put all the data from the touch on the iphone? It won't screw the iphone up?

Thanks for the help.

Charles

2. GidbinN macrumors member

GidbinN

without jailbreaking, iPhone OS data transfer is almost impossible,
    you can't upload data from your iPod.
    yes, you have to give up all your App settings, save games, and history on your old iPod touch.

Otherwise you have to jailbreak both of them and do a data transfer, and I'm not sure if that helps anybody.

So have fun with your new iPhone, and I suggest you to sell or give away your old touch, that one will be useless once you get an iPhone, no ****.

3. nydepot thread starter macrumors newbie

Touch to iphone migration - ANSWERED

OK, I got my phone and after reading forums and blogs about migrating, I assumed I wouldn't be able to or at least not able to without all the tricks people did. As it turns out, it couldn't have been any easier.

iTunes considers the Touch an iPhone. That's the great part and the reason all this worked. All this worked and iTunes stepped me through everything.

Here's what I did:

1) Plugged in the Touch and did a sync. I did two really. If you go into Preferences/Devices, you can see the last backup you got.

2) Unplug the Touch and plug in the new iphone.

3) iTunes says you've already had an iPhone in iTunes, do you want to restore your data to your new iPhone. YES

4) This restore takes a while and then it reboots, which takes more time.

5) You're not done! Don't unplug. If you look at your screen while it's still attached, you won't notice any difference. But, your app data has already been loaded on the iPhone.

6) I started tabbing though the various tabs for the new phone in iTunes (don't change anything!). Suddenly it started copying apps to the iPhone, automatically. Once that that done, I did a quick check and sure enough one of the apps that used data had my data in them.

7) After all of this restore was done, I let it check for the newest OS (went from 3.1.2 to 3.1.3) and then let it do its thing.

8) Once that was done, I had everything from my touch, including my data and all my settings. From what I could tell, the only thing it didn't do was the passwords I had to enter for any of the wifi networks I had joined. That could be a security thing.

So, I just backed up the touch and then plugged in the phone and let iTunes walk me through migrating over. SUPER SIMPLE!

Charles