Touch to TV woes or larger screen even?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by sjleworthy, Dec 5, 2008.

1. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

Hi guys (first post in these forums :) )

I'm looking to connect my 1st gen ipod touch fw-2.2 (non-jb) to my tv. and having problems.

I've read this thread - http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=604647&highlight=connecting+to+tv and this article - http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/09/17/an_in_depth_ipod_touch_review.html&page=2 and was wondering id there's any up dates?

basically, like that thread, i'm getting perfect stereo sound, but black picture. i bought my av cable cheaply in ebay. But after reading that second link i posted it looks like i must buy the newer more expensive cable for things to work.

Basically, i'm not too interested in video, but would love to play my games on a larger screen. Please could someone answer me a couple of questions too?

1) i read somewhere that 2.x firmware wont yet allow picture signal. is this correct? does this mean the new cable only is needed?

2) if i get it to work fully (sound works fine already), will i only be able to view video, or will i also be able to view my games too? Steve Jobs manages it on his keynote speeches. any idea how and what cable/sw he uses?

3) is there any other options or 'hacks' i can perform to enable me to view my games on a bigger screen?

thanks guys

2. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

I can't help you with your dilemma, but man is that second article you posted either dead wrong or just way outdated because of updates on the Touch. It is full of claims that are just not true, which makes me believe updates added a lot of what tha tarticle says can't be done.

Case in point this:

"However, it doesn't present a way to enter Calendar items, only offering a read-only view of what was synced over from your computer."

which is clearly not true on either my 1G (at 1.1.5) or 2G at 2.2.

That said, while I didn't yet read in that article what directly relates to your video problem, don't take things he says in it as fact as updates/changes may have made what he says obsolete.

I do intend to investigate this video-to-TV too someday as I know I will want to do the same eventually.

Mike

3. sjleworthy thread starter macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

thanks. after some extensive research, looks like tv out put is fine (which we know) using the correct cable, but outputting apps on a larger screen is currently impossible.

shame, i'm disparate to play my games on a larger screen. it's a shame there's no way to play them on a laptop via the Touch.