Touch Users: Do You Prefer Gmail+Gcal Online or Mail & iCal Sync? Best Option?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by HappyDude20, Sep 1, 2009.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I use Google for almost everything. Gmail and Gcal are my 2 most important apps to get me through the day.

(Except today, stupid Gmail going down)

Well, on my MBP I use Gmail through Firefox utilizing Gmail offline feature, the same going for Gcal on my MBP.

I'd like to get some funtionality going and seeing as how my iPod Touch will most likely be in a zone without WiFi, really need to make a decision on what the best option would be.

I'm weighing 2 options...

1. I can go the same route i'm currently going on my MBP and access Gmail and Gcal while being offline using Safari on my iPod Touch. I've heard a little bit about how during offline use you can still access Gmail (and maybe Gcal too?). I'm not sure if this feature allows me to compose and view all my mail+attachments while w/o WiFi on my Touch...

Essentially I need to be able to access any email I may need to look/review at anytime, regardless if I have WiFi or not. The same going for Gcal.

2. I can add my Gmail account to Apple's MAIL on my Touch and have that option. This doesn't sound all that bad to me, but of course i'm asking here for other's input. If I remember correctly I believe Google has released some sort of syncing app or code or something where everything in Gcal is automatically synced up with iCal on the Mac.

Side Note: Personally, speaking solely on the Macbook side I can really see myself loving this option; using Apple's Mail on my Mac and having iCal on my Mac automatically sync with iCal to anf from whenever I have an internet connection...the only thought now is that......

...if I go the route of adding Gmail to Apple's Mail on my Touch, i'll be utilizing Calendar on the Touch and am wondering how Calendar on the Touch will automatically be in sync at all times with both iCal on my Mac and Gcal online.

Regarding the Calendar objective, I'd love to be able to add something to Calendar on the Touch, iCal on the Mac or Gcal while at a random computer (such as at University) and the moment I add one thing to one, it syncs up to all others... (No Mobile Me for me..)

I know there has to be a way, i'm sure i've done it before... help?

2. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

i;ve used google sync in order to always be in sync with my calendar which i love. any update i add/delete is automatically seen in any of my accounts... whether im using/viewing on my Gcal.com account, iCal on my Mac or calendar on my Touch it all updates all the time. i love it...

as for Gmail, boy am i having trouble...after reading googles instructions to sync mail...its been telling me there are connection errors. When trying to set up Gmail on both my iPod Touch's mail and also Mail on my Macbook.