touch wi-fi on WEP or WPA?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Stang68, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Stang68 macrumors 6502a

Stang68

Hey guys and gals,

I just wanted to know, does the touch work on WPA or WEP wifi? What is the difference? Will it be able to log onto the one it cant right now in the future?

Thanks!

2. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

It will be able to work with both WEP and WPA

3. Stang68 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stang68

Now, by that do you mean it only works on one right now? Which one? I ask because I go to school on a campus that has wifi. We have two different ones. My touch only works on one of the two. I dont know why. The tech dept says that the one it doesnt work on is "too encrypted".

4. tony Ramirez macrumors member

I know that it works on WEP because I'm typing this from my iPod and the network I'm on is my home network which is WEP encrypted

5. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I have used my iPod Touch on both WPA and WEP networks, so I would say it works on both.

6. Stang68 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stang68

uh huh, so now I have no idea how to get onto my capmus' wireless. It asks for a password so I put in my student login password but nothing happens. Do any of you know of any tricks/ways to get onto servers?

7. bwanac macrumors regular

how do you get on the network with your laptop or computer?

at my campus, we have to login via a web browser. so on my touch i open up safari and then it redirects me to a school page where i can login with a student id and password.

the touch acts just like a laptop, so maybe figure out how you do it on a laptop from a friend if you dont know how, or if you do know how just use that method.

8. Stang68 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stang68

I just type in my user name and password on my macs airport and it connects. For some reason it wont work on the touch. It only prompts for a password.

9. dikiem macrumors member

At my work, the wifi connect using non-broadcast SSID through WPA using window logon authenication.

How do i set that up using iPOD Touch?

10. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

Your campus is using 802.1x (aka. WPA Enterprise). The touch (and iphone) don't support that.. only standard WEP, WPA, WPA2.

Join the thousands screaming to apple for a firmware update :p