Touch will not sync with my G5

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by sweigner, Mar 1, 2008.

1. sweigner macrumors regular

sweigner

Hey Gang,

Before I get blasted, let me say this is my first time posting here so if I'm bringing up a topic that has already been discussed I apologize.

I just purchased a new 16gig touch. I tried to sync it to my g5 and I tunes just freezes and after a couple minutes, I get an error message stating the iphone couldn’t talk to iTunes. I went ahead and put the iPod in recovery mode and it showed up in iTunes and I was able to put my music on it. I then undocked the unit and re-docked it and again iTunes would recognize it and after two min. I received that message again.

Here is my configuration:
    iPod Touch Firmware 1.1.4
    iTunes 7.6
    Universal dock with touch insert.
    USB 2.0 port
    G5 Mac
    I tried uninstalling the Itunes extensions and re-installing them with no success. If anybody can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Scott

2. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

Have you tried a different USB port. If that does not work create a new user account and try and see if you can sync is successfully using that account.

You may have to import some songs into the new user accounts iTunes first.

3. sweigner thread starter macrumors regular

sweigner

Chas00o1 thanks for the suggestion.

I haven't yet tried a new USB port I'll try that when I get home, damn work. when you say import songs do you mean from the iTunes store? I have over 20,000 tracks in iTunes now, none purchased from iTunes.

4. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

What I mean is that when you create a new account and log into it, by default there will be no music in itunes (as its associated with the old account). You may just want to import some songs into it from where they are currently stored. Good Luck.

5. sweigner thread starter macrumors regular

sweigner

I'll give it a shot, thanks Chas!!

6. darkblu macrumors regular

sweigner, two things:

1. what version of osx are you running that g5 off? i was having some issue with my g4's usb bus driver in earlier 10.4's, resulting in an ipod nano behaving erratically when connecting/syncing. the bug was eventually fixed, but i don't remember in which version. anyway, i think by 10.4.6 it was already gone.

2. aside from what chas0001 suggested, try also eliminating any potential cradle issues - try using just the vanilla usb cable that comes with the 'pod.

7. sweigner thread starter macrumors regular

sweigner

Thanks darkblu,

I acctually had to reinstall iTunes and (touch wood) seems to be working. The only issue is it doesn't show up on my desktop. So that has me a bit concerned.

Thanks Again

8. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

I believe this is normal behavior. I don't think the touch can be used as a drive as other ipods could.

9. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

Glad you got it working. As stated by Cameront9 the iPhone and iPod Touch will not mount on the desktop because they do not support external storage (YET!).