touch won't charge

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by sgtjivanelli, Oct 9, 2008.

1. sgtjivanelli macrumors newbie

I just got a 32G iPod touch and for some reason it's not charging. I plug it into my Mac, and the battery just stays at the same level. Last night I thought to use my old iPod wall charger, and it worked fine, but then this morning it's just sitting, plugged in, not charging.

Any tricks? I've tried charging it powered on and off, locked and not locked. etc.

2. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

What types of connections are you using? Is your Wall charger an apple Firewire, or USB charger? Also, are you using USB on the system to charge the iPod ?

[​IMG]

3. sgtjivanelli thread starter macrumors newbie

The wall charger does not have a USB plug.

What's frustrating is that the little battery icon in the top right hand corner indicates it's plugged in when I plug it in, but it still doesn't charge.

I bought the touch last week. This only started happening yesterday. Blurg.

4. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

It can only be charged via a USB device.

5. sgtjivanelli thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll skip the wall charger, then! :)

It still has the same problem though on the computer, which I make sure isn't asleep when I charge. Sigh. I'll try again when I get home - thanks!

6. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

This is not true at all. I almost exclusively charge my 1st Gen Touch with the Firewire (wall) adapter that came with my first iPod (1G 10GB).

7. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Exactly, you have a 1st gen. The 2nd gen does not support Firewire charging.

8. P Mentior macrumors regular

A low powered USB port wont charge it (like the ones found on unpowered hubs and the Apple wired Keyboard). If you are plugging it into an iMac make sure to plug it into the machine itself and not the keyboard ports as those are designed only for low power devices (mice, USB flash drive, etc.) if it is a gen 1 touch then i believe that it will charge off of firewire as well as USB but I believe that that was removed in gen 2.

9. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Thanks for this info which I shall keep for future reference. I was aware that the 3G iPhone could not use Firewire chargers but had not heard about the 2G Touch. I'm sorry to hear that. I like being able to charge my iPod with the computer off.

10. sgtjivanelli thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, i got the touch to charge, but here's a similar problem. Sometimes, it just sits at half a charge while connected to my computer. Should I not use the computer while it charges, or doesn't that make a difference? Should I plug it in while the iPod is off or on, or doesn't that matter, either? Thanks!