Touch wont play sound without headphones

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Dieder, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Dieder macrumors member

Since today my iPod Touch wont play any sounds without headphones. When I unplug them the volume adjuster dissapears... strange.

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

3. Dieder thread starter macrumors member

Have 3rd gen. Not keen on resetting the whole thing because I would lose all the data on it.

4. Dieder thread starter macrumors member

And restarting didnt help. But thanks for your help!

5. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Well the reset as described by the page I linked to doesn't affect data on the device, but if it still happens after a restart you may have a software issue which can only be addressed with a restore, which WILL affect data on the device. However, as long as your device has been backed up to your computer, after the restore has finished you'll be given the option to use a backup or set it up as new. Setting it up as new and giving it a different device name so it doesn't wipe the backup will be one way of preserving your device data and making sure that its not software related. If the issue's not there after setting it up as new you probably won't want to restore from backup because that could bring the problem back...
    For iPod touch/iPhone troubleshooting, anything that persists despite a restore is something you may want to mail-in or carry-in whichever service options Apple offers in your country. And if Apple decides to repair your iPod, once its back in your hands you can choose to restore it from backup and get back all the apps you had synced with it, and the music assuming its still in your iTunes library, and your contacts, calendars, notes will still be on your computer in one way or another.

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Sometimes the device just thinks that it still has headphones plugged in and it takes several times of plugging and unplugging the headphones before it recognizes when it doesn't have them in.

7. Sasuke-chan macrumors member

I had that problem too in my first ipod touch (2g). It was pretty frustrating. I got a replacement (within 2 weeks of my purchase at the apple store). Apparently, it is a defective unit. So get yours exchanged =D

BTW, I tried everything I could including restoring the ipod touch and nothing works. So just exchange for a new one =D

8. motoMBP macrumors newbie

i just had the same thing happen mines a 2G 16gb, but i think its from using my alarmclock radio ipod dock, because after some fiddling around and putting it back in the dock and then turning the speakers on then off it came back right away, i was freaking out too :) hope it may help

9. Dieder thread starter macrumors member

It works again! Thanks everyone for your help

10. Sasuke-chan macrumors member

Not to jinx you or anything...

But when I had that defective unit, the external speaker works intermittently. Like it was okay for a few days, and then it stops working again. So I would say that, if yours is still within the exchangeable period, it would be better to exchange a new one =D