Touch

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ddjohns1, Oct 24, 2013.

1. ddjohns1 macrumors newbie

Why do you suppose Apple is not enabling touch on the iMac? All the PC all-in-ones offer this w/Win 8. Haven't seen any sign that Apple is going this direction.

2. insimbi macrumors 6502

insimbi

Steve Jobs talked about this when the first iPad was released back in 2010. He said it didn't make sense to touch your computer screen as it's awkward and cumbersome. It makes more sense to have a device in your lap or hands like the iPad. I doubt they will ever make a touch-capable iMac - but who knows.

3. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

I can't reach my iMac display from my chair so I don't want to pay extra for a touch-enabled display. Regardless, I'm an excellent typist so I'll stick with my keyboard and trackpad.

4. elithrar macrumors 6502

elithrar

Look at the sales of those other all-in-ones—heck, of HP/Dell/etc as a whole—and then wonder why Apple hasn't followed their lead :)

5. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

I think he was referring to MacBooks. Anyway, it's possible to pimp an iMac with a neck g4 style to make it lie completely flat.

That would be like using an iPad just on a desk.

It's definitely would work. It's just a matter of a lot of good effort and resources to make it happen. So, maybe someday.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

besides needing different screen, the OS would need a lot of work to accept touch input. the topic has been beaten to death over and over here in the forums.

7. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

If you do a quick search, you will find a very long thread on the subject of touch on iMacs. That has all the discussion on why it is or is not a good idea that you will ever want.