TouchArcade.com Highlights iPhone and iPod Touch Gaming

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

TouchArcade.com (rss) is a new site dedicated to iPhone and iPod Touch gaming. Cofounded by myself, Arnold Kim (blog, twitter), and Blake Patterson (home, twitter), the site hopes to become the definitive resource for gaming on Apple's new handheld platform.

We've already highlighted some hidden gems in iPhone gaming and compiled excerpts from some recent articles in this early iPhone gaming roundup:

Dizzy Bee (iTunes link) - It’s a fun time to be an iPhone owner when a gem like Igloo Games’ Dizzy Bee appears out of nowhere as a pleasant and inexpensive surprise.

Tilt and turn your iPhone to guide a friendly bee to rescue fruit while avoid obstacles and baddies. The game provides a remarkable level of polish throughout and provides an excellent value at only $2.99.

Aurora Feint: The Beginning (iTunes link) - 23 year old developers Danielle Cassley and Jason Citron have been slaving away at this game for only 10 weeks, but have already won the praise of early App Store commenters who are amazed that the game is free.

Some have compared the game to Pokemon Puzzle League where the basic gameplay is to arrange three blocks in a row, either vertical or horizontal. But what’s unique is the Role Playing component to the game along with level-ups which provide you with useful skills such as “Time Stopper” and “Strategist”. These level-ups can aid in gameplay and increase your multipliers. The graphics and music are also of impressive quality.

A couple of other fun and free games introduced to the App Store include Cube Runner (iTunes link) and Tap Tap Revenge (iTunes link) and other related topics include the effectiveness of alternative input controls and the iPhone's built in rumble pack.

Visit TouchArcade.com for more gaming news and reviews.

Article Link

a1016neo

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2006
Arn why are you going from a Nephrologist to a full time Mac Rumors blogger???!!!

MacGohil

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008
Auckland, NZ
Not only my human side wants more and more of these fancy games in the app store but my evil side is still craving for a Quake-3 like game for the iPhone platform. C'mon ID-Labs where are ur developers? Why so slow, I was expecting ID games would be one of the first to be in race but I believe Apple favouring Sega and holding up other devs has to do something with the limited titles we've seen so far.

I want Quake, Doom if not, even old school Wolfenstein will do ID....:D

LaDirection

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2006
"the site hopes to become the definitive resource for gaming on Apple's new handheld platform. "

It's already mission accomplished.

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
I should be getting an iPhone within a couple weeks, and I am very excited by the prospect of it as a new major gaming platform (I even owned an nGage!). Touch Arcade might not be the first iPhone gaming site, but seeing that it is arn and blakespot means a lot. I hope that it will quickly grow into a great, well-polished source of info on the slew of upcoming iPhone games.

furrot

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2008
Wow I was just thinking "damn monkey ball is terrible, where can I find out which iPhone games aren't a waste of my money?" and decided to check Macrumors... Thanks guys this should help me avoid going broke.

tk421

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2005
Los Angeles
normalkid.com said:
The most likely reaction I expect from regular MacRumors readers is “You weren’t working on MacRumors full time already?”
You're right, Arn. I was surprised to read about your "real" job on your blog.

Congrats on the success of the site and best of luck with everything!

Greenbird600

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2008
Just tried cube runner. Awesome game. Reminds me of an game I used to play on my calculator in high school. Pulse its free which is great.

thespazz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
Aurora Feint is amazing. Leveling up takes forever though. Still, it is addictive and fun.

pingvuiini

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2008
Cube Runner = way too addicting.
Yes! Although the graphics are not as glitzy as, say, Cro Mag Rally, the game is very simple and responds extremely well to the user input, and it doesn't drain the battery as fast as Cro Mag. I am totally addicted to this game and enjoy it much more than other games I paid for. Cube Runner has definitely improved my creative swearing skills.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
Good luck arn.

As a medical student, all I can say is wow. All that hard work to become a doctor and your quitting to become a full time webmaster. I'd take the being a doctor. Think about it helping people with their health and potentially saving lives opposed to helping people get their Apple/iPhone fix. But anyways, whatever makes you most happy. :)

Best of luck with everything and keep up the good work. I can't get enough of this website! :D

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
Good luck arn.

As a medical student, all I can say is wow. All that hard work to become a doctor and your quitting to become a full time webmaster. I'd take the being a doctor. Think about it helping people with their health and potentially saving lives opposed to helping people get their Apple/iPhone fix. But anyways, whatever makes you most happy. :)

Best of luck with everything and keep up the good work. I can't get enough of this website! :D
I'd have thought a site of this size would be a very nice little earner. 40m page views per month? Even with a low CPM that is a lot of money. I understand the sentiment in wanting to help people, but at the end of the day its a career choice.

humanliberty

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2007
Good luck arn.

As a medical student, all I can say is wow. All that hard work to become a doctor and your quitting to become a full time webmaster. I'd take the being a doctor. Think about it helping people with their health and potentially saving lives opposed to helping people get their Apple/iPhone fix.
Talk about sitting on the moral high horse. Being a (highly paid) doctor does not make you any better than the rest of us sacks of meat. If you donate your total salary to charity, perhaps. Med students I have known are not exactly paragons of superior morality.

Besides, entertainment, effective and cheap communication, GPS, etc. also potentially saves lives.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.