TouchArcade.com Highlights iPhone and iPod Touch Gaming

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 13, 2008.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

TouchArcade.com (rss) is a new site dedicated to iPhone and iPod Touch gaming. Cofounded by myself, Arnold Kim (blog, twitter), and Blake Patterson (home, twitter), the site hopes to become the definitive resource for gaming on Apple's new handheld platform.

We've already highlighted some hidden gems in iPhone gaming and compiled excerpts from some recent articles in this early iPhone gaming roundup:

[​IMG]

Dizzy Bee (iTunes link) - It’s a fun time to be an iPhone owner when a gem like Igloo Games’ Dizzy Bee appears out of nowhere as a pleasant and inexpensive surprise.

Tilt and turn your iPhone to guide a friendly bee to rescue fruit while avoid obstacles and baddies. The game provides a remarkable level of polish throughout and provides an excellent value at only $2.99.

[​IMG]

Aurora Feint: The Beginning (iTunes link) - 23 year old developers Danielle Cassley and Jason Citron have been slaving away at this game for only 10 weeks, but have already won the praise of early App Store commenters who are amazed that the game is free.

Some have compared the game to Pokemon Puzzle League where the basic gameplay is to arrange three blocks in a row, either vertical or horizontal. But what’s unique is the Role Playing component to the game along with level-ups which provide you with useful skills such as “Time Stopper” and “Strategist”. These level-ups can aid in gameplay and increase your multipliers. The graphics and music are also of impressive quality.

A couple of other fun and free games introduced to the App Store include Cube Runner (iTunes link) and Tap Tap Revenge (iTunes link) and other related topics include the effectiveness of alternative input controls and the iPhone's built in rumble pack.

Visit TouchArcade.com for more gaming news and reviews.

Article Link

2. a1016neo macrumors regular

a1016neo

Arn why are you going from a Nephrologist to a full time Mac Rumors blogger???!!!

3. MacGohil macrumors regular

MacGohil

Not only my human side wants more and more of these fancy games in the app store but my evil side is still craving for a Quake-3 like game for the iPhone platform. C'mon ID-Labs where are ur developers? Why so slow, I was expecting ID games would be one of the first to be in race but I believe Apple favouring Sega and holding up other devs has to do something with the limited titles we've seen so far.

I want Quake, Doom if not, even old school Wolfenstein will do ID....:D

4. LillieDesigns macrumors 6502

LillieDesigns

5. LaDirection macrumors 6502

"the site hopes to become the definitive resource for gaming on Apple's new handheld platform. "

It's already mission accomplished.

6. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

I should be getting an iPhone within a couple weeks, and I am very excited by the prospect of it as a new major gaming platform (I even owned an nGage!). Touch Arcade might not be the first iPhone gaming site, but seeing that it is arn and blakespot means a lot. I hope that it will quickly grow into a great, well-polished source of info on the slew of upcoming iPhone games.

7. furrot macrumors newbie

Wow I was just thinking "damn monkey ball is terrible, where can I find out which iPhone games aren't a waste of my money?" and decided to check Macrumors... Thanks guys this should help me avoid going broke.

8. tk421 macrumors 6502a

You're right, Arn. I was surprised to read about your "real" job on your blog.

Congrats on the success of the site and best of luck with everything!

9. Greenbird600 macrumors member

Just tried cube runner. Awesome game. Reminds me of an game I used to play on my calculator in high school. Pulse its free which is great.

10. yayaba macrumors 6502

Wow Dizzy Bee is really, really polished. Great find.

11. MartiNZ macrumors 65816

MartiNZ

Oh come on, you want Marathon :)!

12. MacTheSpoon macrumors 6502a

Dizzy Bee is SO charming. What a fun little game!

13. RollTide macrumors 6502

RollTide

Yeah and for free!!! It is a really fun game.

14. thespazz macrumors 6502a

Aurora Feint is amazing. Leveling up takes forever though. Still, it is addictive and fun.

15. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

Yup...top fun for no money....gotta love it! :D

16. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I'll get an iPod Classic for musik, Touch for vids, and an iPhone for games :p

17. gcmexico macrumors 6502a

gcmexico

sweet site Arn, thanks!!! there some Amazing games on the iphone!

18. pingvuiini macrumors newbie

Yes! Although the graphics are not as glitzy as, say, Cro Mag Rally, the game is very simple and responds extremely well to the user input, and it doesn't drain the battery as fast as Cro Mag. I am totally addicted to this game and enjoy it much more than other games I paid for. Cube Runner has definitely improved my creative swearing skills.

19. rikers_mailbox macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I like Aurora Feint too. Menus are kinda slow and eats the battery, but it's fun. Music, graphics, and sound fx are great. Oh, and it's FREE.

20. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

21. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

I'd pay good money for any of those, that would be awesome

22. kjs862 macrumors 65816

kjs862

Good luck arn.

As a medical student, all I can say is wow. All that hard work to become a doctor and your quitting to become a full time webmaster. I'd take the being a doctor. Think about it helping people with their health and potentially saving lives opposed to helping people get their Apple/iPhone fix. But anyways, whatever makes you most happy. :)

Best of luck with everything and keep up the good work. I can't get enough of this website! :D

23. Project macrumors 68020

I'd have thought a site of this size would be a very nice little earner. 40m page views per month? Even with a low CPM that is a lot of money. I understand the sentiment in wanting to help people, but at the end of the day its a career choice.

24. djellison macrumors 68020

WTF?
    Cube Runner...not available on the UK store.

25. humanliberty macrumors newbie

Talk about sitting on the moral high horse. Being a (highly paid) doctor does not make you any better than the rest of us sacks of meat. If you donate your total salary to charity, perhaps. Med students I have known are not exactly paragons of superior morality.

Besides, entertainment, effective and cheap communication, GPS, etc. also potentially saves lives.