Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Even though the first two days of this week were spent by most Americans celebrating the Fourth of July, there were still a ton of happenings in the iOS gaming arena. Kicking things off was a story surrounding a puzzling update from Five Nights at Freddy's creator Scott Cawthon. Now, this comes with the massive caveat that Cawthon is no stranger to (intentionally or unintentionally) trolling his audience with updates on the state of development of games in the Five Nights at Freddy's series, but, you really never know.

If Scott Cawthon is to be believed, he's been working on Five Nights at Freddy's 6 but eventually decided to pull the plug on the project due to the pressure that comes from trying to develop another unique entry in the series -- particularly with the sky-high expectations surrounding another FNAF sequel. Allegedly, instead he's going to be working on smaller projects loosely based on the FNAF universe like the upcoming movie, a VR title, and other things.

What has us raising our eyebrows particularly high on this one is that Five Nights at Freddy's: Sister Location was "delayed" because it was "too scary" and then the game was released four days later. Either way, kids are (still) crazy for FNAF, so it seems worth paying attention to, even if these odd updates seem like a strange way to promote a game.

DD-czQOXUAELvwS.jpg-large-800x450.jpeg

With Season 3 of Rick and Morty only a few weeks away, Adult Swim has updated Pocket Mortys with online multiplayer battles, new dimensions to explore, and tons of other things. Pocket Mortys features a supremely agreeable free to play system that feels truly optional, and is easily among the best, if not the best Pokemon-like game on the App Store. It's packed with Rick and Morty fan service, but even if you've never seen the show, it's a fantastic collection and battling game only made better by this update.

header.jpg

Another Rome: Total War port is on the way to the App Store, and this time players will travel back in time to an entirely new scenario that begins with the Macedonians and escalates all the way to the Persian Empire. Rome: Total War - Alexander will launch as a standalone expansion for $4.99 soon. The original iPad port of Rome: Total War was received incredibly well by fans of strategy games, so it seems safe to assume Alexander will be just as good.

Telltale's Minecraft: Story Mode is a clever mash-up between Telltale's signature narrative-based games and the Minecraft universe which has practically no story in it at all. The first season of the game spanned eight individual episodes that at times felt a lot like playing a Minecraft-y version of the movie The Goonies. Few details are available yet for the second season except for the trailer and the release date of July 11th, but we'll be keeping a close eye on this one.

The original Sorcery! is now available for free on the App Store, and is a game everyone should download during this promotion. We've written extensively about the game, but CliffsNotes effectively amount to Sorcery! is easily among the best game books on the App Store. If you've never played one, imagine Choose Your Own Adventure novels from when you were a kid, but fleshed out to an unbelievable extent. There are two more entries in the series, so if you find yourself enjoying Sorcery! be sure to check out the two sequels.

While it seems like everyone and their brother is riffing on Supercell's Clash Royale these days, Tilting Point and Simutronics released Siege: Titan Wars this week which is another incredibly polished spin on the formula. Players dispatch swarms of troops and powerful titans, and unleash magic spells in realtime PvP battles. This style of game works incredibly well on mobile, so if you weren't into Clash Royale for whatever reason, it's worth giving this one a try.

In Hearthstone news, surrounding rumors, speculation, and legitimate leaks, Blizzard finally announced the next Hearthstone expansion: Knights of the Frozen Throne. Launching next month, Knights of the Frozen Throne is loosely based on the World of Warcraft expansion Wrath of the Lich King, but with the requisite signature Hearthstone twist. New Death Knight Hero cards are being introduced, which provide each class with a new Undead-centric hero power.

Finally, Tencent's Honor of Kings will be launching globally this year. It's unlikely you've heard of this game unless you're in China, but Honor of Kings has been unbelievably successful, sporting over 50 million daily active users and raking in over $140 million a month. The game is so popular in China that the developers were actually forced to limit how much people can play it by the Chinese government. It's a situation that's almost impossible to believe, but I'm incredibly curious to see how it does outside of Asian markets.

That's it for this week! As always, if you appreciate these iOS gaming roundups and are interested in way more content like this, head over to TouchArcade where we're posting iOS game news, reviews, guides, and more all day long. We've got an iOS gaming Twitch channel, a fantastic Discord server, and a weekly podcast that are also all worth checking out.

Article Link: TouchArcade iOS Gaming Roundup: Five Nights at Freddy's, Minecraft Story Mode, Honor of Kings, and More

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
I guess it's great that so many people now are into casual gaming. I just hope that it doesn't force everyone into focussing just on casual gamers and leave the serious gamers high and dry.

It's like the bluetooth mono speakers that are everywhere now. Nothing out there for people who actually care about how music sounds.

Reactions: !!!

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
I guess it's great that so many people now are into casual gaming. I just hope that it doesn't force everyone into focussing just on casual gamers and leave the serious gamers high and dry.

It's like the bluetooth mono speakers that are everywhere now. Nothing out there for people who actually care about how music sounds.
I don't think you have anything to worry about. Serious gaming seems to be at an all time high and getting higher. It's even created a burgeoning industry: eSports. It's even putting fairly serious coin in the pockets of the participants.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
What's up with that Minecraft video? How come some guy spoke over it? Is that what folk are into these days? I was hoping to see a trailer and not someone wanting to become a YouTube personality.

It sounds like you need a Switch or just sticking to PC games. That's pretty much what I play on these days (Switch, 3DS, PS4, and all my older systems).

nelsonammo

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2011
I played a bit of Siege: Titan Wars. It's an unimaginative, boring clone of Clash Royale. Why is Apple promoting it in the app store? I guess they paid a lot of money for it?

spercharged69

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2003
New York, NY
What's up with that Minecraft video? How come some guy spoke over it? Is that what folk are into these days? I was hoping to see a trailer and not someone wanting to become a YouTube personality.

Don't even get me started. This is turning into the new normal. Instead of sending press releases, a lot of companies are disseminating information like this by sending it to some YouTuber who does a reaction video or whatever it is that you call this.

hotgril

Suspended
Jul 4, 2017
Artsakh, Armenia
Don't even get me started. This is turning into the new normal. Instead of sending press releases, a lot of companies are disseminating information like this by sending it to some YouTuber who does a reaction video or whatever it is that you call this.
Ugh, it's always annoying even to see that crap as suggestions on YouTube. I think those famous YouTubers playing Minecraft started that. I'd even rather have a Minecraft server admin talking over it. Like me several years ago, lol.
[doublepost=1499483615][/doublepost]

Given how many people I know, who aren't even considered nerds, have "elite gaming rigs," my worries are opposite of what you describe. I play CS:GO 1-2 times a week and can't believe how absorbed some people are and how sad/angry people can be while enjoying their free time. Oh well, they drive the PC hardware industry's improvements with their wallets.

You know what I miss? The N64 and GameCube type machines. You just pop the game in and play. No software setup, no accounts/login, no DLCs, no updates, no frickin menus and loading screens to go through, no darn Bluetooth controller pairing that never works the first time. Oh, and Nintendo's games were also generally a lot better back then.

Last edited:
Reactions: Altis

Avieshek

Suspended
Dec 7, 2013
India
After Photography, Gaming is the next thing that defines iOS and iPhone hardware. Miss the Infinity Blade series.

Reactions: hotgril

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Ugh, it's always annoying even to see that crap as suggestions on YouTube. I think those famous YouTubers playing Minecraft started that. I'd even rather have a Minecraft server admin talking over it. Like me several years ago, lol.
[doublepost=1499483615][/doublepost]
Given how many people I know, who aren't even considered nerds, have "elite gaming rigs," my worries are opposite of what you describe. I play CS:GO 1-2 times a week and can't believe how absorbed some people are and how sad/angry people can be while enjoying their free time. Oh well, they drive the PC hardware industry's improvements with their wallets.

You know what I miss? The N64 and GameCube type machines. You just pop the game in and play. No software setup, no accounts/login, no DLCs, no updates, no frickin menus and loading screens to go through, no darn Bluetooth controller pairing that never works the first time. Oh, and Nintendo's games were also generally a lot better back then.
It's a bit older than that. I remember just before Minecraft launched that folk would do "Lets plays" of indie games in particular.

Nintendo systems are still like that though. Most 3DS games don't get patched (there's a lengthy QA process to weed out the problems before the games launch), and the Switch has background updates. All you do for them is pop the game in and play. As for the quality of Nintendo games... whaaaat? Arguably the best rated games in the Zelda, Pokemon, Mario, Mario Kart series are the latest entries in their series. Breath of the Wild and Mario Kart 8 are among the best games ever made, and BOTW is also completely portable on Switch! It's great :)

hotgril

Suspended
Jul 4, 2017
Artsakh, Armenia
Nintendo systems are still like that though. Most 3DS games don't get patched (there's a lengthy QA process to weed out the problems before the games launch), and the Switch has background updates. All you do for them is pop the game in and play. As for the quality of Nintendo games... whaaaat? Arguably the best rated games in the Zelda, Pokemon, Mario, Mario Kart series are the latest entries in their series. Breath of the Wild and Mario Kart 8 are among the best games ever made, and BOTW is also completely portable on Switch! It's great :)

Nintendo systems are pretty nice with their simplicity, yes. I'm glaring more at Xbox and Playstation, which have been painful since 2006. Though I'm still slightly annoyed that Nintendo games have DLCs now.

Ok, Nintendo has a few good games, but only a few. Yes, Mario Kart 8 is the best Mario Kart, and portable Pokémon I'm guessing is fine (haven't seen it). But what happened to Metroid, Paper Mario, Mario Party, the Super Mario 64 equivalents, non-portable Pokémon, Super Monkey Ball, Donkey Kong, and others? They all either got worse or died off, and nothing else really came to replace them. Smash Bros 4 is a big improvement over Brawl but still worse than the first two. Also BotW is debatable (generic dungeons, lame world/character-building, no music, ez boss, super laggy on Wii U), and Skyward Sword was just bad in every way other than making Groose memes.

Last edited:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Nintendo systems are pretty nice with their simplicity, yes. I'm glaring more at Xbox and Playstation, which have been painful since 2006. Though I'm still slightly annoyed that Nintendo games have DLCs now.

Ok, Nintendo has a few good games, but only a few. Yes, Mario Kart 8 is the best Mario Kart, and portable Pokémon I'm guessing is fine (haven't seen it). But what happened to Metroid, Paper Mario, Mario Party, the Super Mario 64 equivalents, non-portable Pokémon, Super Monkey Ball, Donkey Kong, and others? They all either got worse or died off, and nothing else really came to replace them. Smash Bros 4 is a big improvement over Brawl but still worse than the first two. Also BotW is debatable (generic dungeons, lame world/character-building, no music, ez boss, super laggy on Wii U), and Skyward Sword was just bad in every way other than making Groose memes.
I'm kinda confused now :) just because it goes against what actually happened;

-Mario Galaxy series continued the 64, Sunshine formula... so Galaxy 1 and 2 make up half of those 'large level' series and have been rated as 2 of the best games ever according to Metacritic.
-Mario expanded with "New Mario" providing classic 2D gameplay with New Mario 1, 2, Wii U, Luigi. All these games scored very highly.
-They FURTHER expanded with a mix of both those in Mario 3D Land and World. Land scored very well but World is another one of those "best games ever made" 95% type situation.
-And then there was Mario Maker where you could make your own levels, another 90% rated title. The series has been performing and selling very well.

-Metroid had the Prime series (with MP1 being one of those ultra high rated ones) and ported to the Wii with enhancements. They're making a new one now. Aside from that they made a bunch of spin-off games... it was all kinda weird really. They're also remaking Metroid 2 for the 3DS just totally out of the blue.

-Pokemon has been doing great as well. Selling incredibly and scoring well. Personally I'm gutted they're bringing the next game out on the 3DS later this year, instead of the Switch.

-Donkey Kong is now made by the team who made Metroid Prime and their games have been, as you guessed, incredibly well rated.

- Super Monkey Ball is made by Sega. Ask them what they're doing with it, it was everywhere years ago and now its nowhere.

-Smash Bros 4 worse than the others? Hmm. That's an odd thing to say because once again it scored incredibly well, and is really well balanced. Is it more that you had fun at the time of the earlier games; nostalgia and all that? Brawl's gameplay was slower for sure but that's sped up in 4.

-BOTW has its flaws for sure, but overall the incredible things it does moots those points. I'm a follower of the series too (never beat Skyward Sword though - that game was far too generic and 'safe') and the lack of dungeons doesn't bother me. I'm conflicted if it's my personal favourite Zelda game because Link's Awakening is so nostalgic for me, and prior to BOTW I considered LBW my fave.

I don't think anyone cares for Mario Party now. Party games have shifted to the flawless Mario Kart 8, and stuff like Joust on PS4 from personal experience!

hotgril

Suspended
Jul 4, 2017
Artsakh, Armenia
Is it more that you had fun at the time of the earlier games; nostalgia and all that? Brawl's gameplay was slower for sure but that's sped up in 4.
Replying to everything, but I singled this out: I don't have nostalgia since I've continuously played Melee, which I didn't buy until Brawl was about to come out. And I didn't play Smash 64 until 2015. The 2 newest ones are relatively dull, and everyone I knew who played Smash a lot stuck with the older ones (or Project M). Same goes with a lot of other old games since I got into them late. I first played Ocarina of Time in 2012. It was after I had played Windwaker and Skyward Sword. I had liked Windwaker, but I thought OoT was the best and still haven't found anything that can beat it. I'm generally a Zelda fan but found BoTW incredibly repetitive and "grindy," like the part just before the end of Windwaker. But I liked the game engine and thought they could have made something really great with it.

I don't get why the Galaxy games are supposed to be the best games ever... according to paid critics. Well, I only played the second one. Felt like I was just playing those "secrets" levels in Sunshine, and there wasn't really a world, yet they tried to make it have a story. It was still decent, but TBH I didn't get very far because I got bored, and I was hoping for something fitting the genre of 64 and Sunshine. The New Super Mario Bros games ARE great, though. Almost forgot.

Donkey Kong and Metroid: I consider these dying because there never seemed to be any excitement about them after N64 and GCN, respectively. I had to look these up to even know what they released after the GameCube era. I've always been amongst video game addicts, and none of them played anything past Metroid Prime 2 (GCN) and DK 64, nor did they talk about the later ones. I'll bet they were decent games, but they couldn't have been very exciting.

I know what happened with Super Monkey Ball and Mario Party. Both straight up got ruined with their horrible Wii releases, both of which I played right when they came out since the predecessors were so great, and then nobody touched them after that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.