Touchbar crackling on cold boot.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Softwarez, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Softwarez macrumors member

Anyone else experience an audible crackling sound on a cold boot from the new MacBook Pros?

When the touchbar starts up from a cold boot on mine, there's a weird audible static/crackling noise. Doesn't happen at any other time. Only on cold boots.

Is this normal operation?

2. blairian89 macrumors 6502

blairian89

You have got to be kidding me...I just posted this same thread about the same issue a few minutes before you! I am not alone! Mine is coming from the right side of laptop; so it seems.

I'm going to the Genius Bar tomorrow with the problem; Apple Support Chat said it was likely a fan failure.

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/off-to-the-genius-bar-i-go.2022709/

3. Softwarez thread starter macrumors member

Mine is coming from the left side, and it doesn't seem to be the fans, because they sound fine otherwise. It's literally only when the touchbar is booting up that it crackles.

4. blairian89 macrumors 6502

blairian89

I am still skeptical about it being the fans, but the Advisor (rightfully) said that it is the only moving part within the MacBook and it would be the only conceivable reason for the laptop to be making any kind of noise.

I don't know; I'll be seeing tomorrow. Worst case I'll return it and just order a new one.

5. Softwarez thread starter macrumors member

I'm thinking my problem is coil wine, but really strange case of coil whine.

6. idark77 macrumors 6502

idark77

It's not a fan issue, it is a pop/click sound due to eletronic components of the ssd, around ssd and around cpu (capacitor hiss/whine and other coil whine). You can exchange it but the new one will have the same click sound. This is just my opinion based on my personal experience in electronic design and study.

7. Softwarez thread starter macrumors member

I study electronic design as well, so I know that coil whine will be inherently at play. I'm just curious if mine is an isolated case (in which I should get it replaced), or if it's a widespread problem due to the inherent design/capacitors that Apple used.

If it's inherent in the design, then that's a little disappointing.

8. idark77 macrumors 6502

idark77

I think that it's a widespread "issue" due to design/manufacturing of Apple. For sure that's a little disappointing but it's a problem inherent to modern electronics (high frequency + high speed + layout not well optimized due to reduced dimensions -> whine due to electronic components + other collateral effects).

9. max99 macrumors member

max99

10. idark77 macrumors 6502

idark77

You can live with it if it is not too annoying or you can return/exchange it and hope to receive one without hissing/click/whine noise, let me say it is a lottery...

11. blairian89 macrumors 6502

blairian89

I had my Genius Bar appointment earlier this evening. I have been relieved of my laptop for the next one to two weeks while it is shipped off for repair.

The Genius was able to clearly hear my issue and replicate it multiple times within a noisy store environment. He stated that he has had several of the new models come in with the same problem and they have all been from failed fans.

Perhaps the noise I was hearing is different than y'alls, but that's what happened for me.

12. Softwarez thread starter macrumors member

Definitely not my fans. I've had benchmarks running with fans spinning at ranges of 1000-3000rpm. I can barely hear them. I'll probably just live with the capacitor whine. It isn't causing any problems, and everything else is perfect. I'd rather not risk something else going wrong in a repair unit.

13. idark77 macrumors 6502

idark77

To replicate the "click" sound on your MBP you can do this:
    - Apple
    - About this mac
    - click Storage and when SSD starts to load your data a "click" noise could occurs...

It is not always reproducible but if you sometimes click it during your work you can hear it...

14. Softwarez thread starter macrumors member

Again, it's not my SSD mate. My SSD is silent. It seems to be related to the ARM processor used for the touchbar when it ramps up to load up it's firmware.

15. idark77 macrumors 6502

idark77

Again, I heard it in the 2015 MBP and it has not a touch bar... There are different noise sources.