Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

masi0

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 19, 2010
Earth
Until today I though Apple invented Touch Bar and the way how it works and coexist with apps and services. Apparently I was wrong.... it was invented two years earlier by... Lenovo in Carbon X

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I just can't stop looking at that Thinkpad keyboard I'd rather have in the current MBP's
I used one of those in a store a few weeks ago. That keyboard is totally awesome.

It's absolutely pathetic what Apple is putting out for a notebook keyboard right now in comparison.

If I could run macOS on a ThinkPad I would go buy one today

Reactions: Naimfan and Queen6

afir93

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2018
Regardless of my opinion of the Touch Bar, I would hardly call the Lenovo Adaptive Keyboard row the invention of the Touch Bar. They are essentially just a row of non-physical fixed buttons with changing inscriptions. As far as I know there is no way to customize these buttons or anything because they were baked into the hardware and therefore there is only a very limited amount of inscriptions that are even possible, and all of those in a single color. No user customizability, no way to change the position, or width or size of the buttons. No functionality for scrolling or swiping left and right either. No way to display actual content there like video/audio scrubbers, miniature timelines, etc.

The big thing about the Touch Bar is that it's a full multitouch Retina OLED screen that can display literally anything that fits on there. If it's actually useful for a workflow or not is another discussion, but the Lenovo screen has essentially none of the good ideas behind the Touch Bar (except maybe for the inscriptions changing based on application, but even that seems like a stretch since apps can choose to have whatever they want on the Touch Bar, not just select one of a handful preselected button rows). They are basically function keys made non-physical with a (by the hardware) limited amount of key inscriptions.

Reactions: HenryDJP and 204353

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
Regardless of my opinion of the Touch Bar, I would hardly call the Lenovo Adaptive Keyboard row the invention of the Touch Bar. They are essentially just a row of non-physical fixed buttons with changing inscriptions. As far as I know there is no way to customize these buttons or anything because they were baked into the hardware and therefore there is only a very limited amount of inscriptions that are even possible, and all of those in a single color. No user customizability, no way to change the position, or width or size of the buttons. No functionality for scrolling or swiping left and right either. No way to display actual content there like video/audio scrubbers, miniature timelines, etc.

The big thing about the Touch Bar is that it's a full multitouch Retina OLED screen that can display literally anything that fits on there. If it's actually useful for a workflow or not is another discussion, but the Lenovo screen has essentially none of the good ideas behind the Touch Bar (except maybe for the inscriptions changing based on application, but even that seems like a stretch since apps can choose to have whatever they want on the Touch Bar, not just select one of a handful preselected button rows). They are basically function keys made non-physical with a (by the hardware) limited amount of key inscriptions.

And it turned out to be just a useless as the Lenovo and razer one anyway.

afir93

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2018
I'm glad you mentioned that...
Uh okay, why? Because I would have otherwise sparked another discussion about the usefulness of the TB? :D In which case, yeah, I was trying to avoid that and compare them without personal use cases, knowing how polarized the opinions about the TB are.

I have mixed feelings about the TB but calling the Lenovo row the invention of the TB just because both of them replace the function row would be like calling the Pebble watch the invention of the Apple Watch just because both of them can replace wristwatches.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.