Touchbar keyboard for iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by TwoBytes, Oct 27, 2016.

1. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

Who wants one?

I'm sure they will release one. Will probably be a year..

I'd like the touchbar at the bottom though as the top is a bit of a stretch.

2. bwoodruff macrumors regular

bwoodruff

It'd be a super expensive option I think.

I really only want it for Touch ID, which would be nice.

3. 6AL5 macrumors member

I would be impressed if the whole keyboard was OLED and touch enabled........

4. tyche macrumors 6502

Not me. I don't look at my keyboard and I'm too old and stubborn to change that. Why would I want to learn an ever changing function key layout for every app in focus. We will soon see how easy and responsive the touch is.

5. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

its called an ipad and its not impressive.

6. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

I think we will wait till the new imac is out to see the keyboard. Disappointing,

7. robertpetry macrumors 6502

robertpetry

My guess is it will be a magic keyboard with a touch bar on top that comes with a new iMac. We will likely see it in April the earliest or more likely WWDC in early June. Or they may even make us wait until next October.

My source for this? My deep-seated confidence in my own ability to make guesses about stuff and be right. Lol

8. 59Burst macrumors member

59Burst

It looked pretty cool in the demos but I bet it gets annoying looking down and reaching over your keyboard continually. Not for me.

9. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

I would agree, if it wasn't for the fact that the touch bar looks like a generic display (it can do custom controls for Final Cut and Photos). That's not going to be friendly to Bluetooth bandwidth. Nor battery.

Hell, I might actually want one. But the reality is that I'm not entirely sure the wireless tech is *quite* where it needs to be for this yet. And I am also a bit curious if Apple would go back to wired to make this work. A laptop makes the most sense since the keyboard is integrated, so you can sip from a larger battery, and not worry about bandwidth/latency to the display.

10. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

You'll never see this. The LED panel would suck way too much battery and there is no way Apple is going to introduce a new wired keyboard when they hate wires. You'd be charging the thing all the time.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I was impressed with the demo, initially I thought it was really superfluous and unnecessary but seeing it in action I was thinking it could be useful.

12. subjonas macrumors 65816

I'm leaning toward agreeing with this, but my guess is spring. I think Apple would like to roll out this new input method to all Macs as soon as possible. With Kaby Lake already out, I think iMac will probably get a refresh early next year, which seems like the best time to bring out the new keyboard with touchbar.

13. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

They'd need to redesign the keyboard. The silver aluminum and white keys would clash with the black bar.

14. ndolebay macrumors member

ndolebay

Head up, head down, head up, head down, Apple will break our necks in two months by touch bar. :)

Especially the 27" screen users.