Touchbar look better at home than in apple store?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pbrutto, Nov 26, 2016.

1. Pbrutto macrumors 6502a

Pbrutto

First off apologies, I think I saw a similar thread a while ago but I can't find it now....

I have a 15" on order for delivery around Christmas day, and I finally stopped by an apple store to check one out today. The touchbar looked really cheap to me. The screen did not look retina, and i could easy see how far the actual digitizer is under the glass. I realize the apple store is very bright, and that it isn't deigned to be viewed at the angle you have to use when playing on one at that table.

My question is, if you already have one what do you think? Are the demo models crap? Is it the lighting? The angle? Crappy panel?

No reviews I have listen to or seen mentioned anything about it looking as cheap as I thought it did in the store, my girlfriend even said "that looks cheap"....in fact, some of the reviewers remarked that it looked better in person than in apple's marketing pictures. I found it to be the exact opposite.

Obviously I have over a week to form my own opinions before I would have to return it but I would like to know what you think. Thanks!

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I have the 13" touch bar model and I don't think it looks cheaply made. It doesn't look out of place with the rest of the Mac, in my opinion. I also think that it lights up just fine (at least for my needs).

3. Pbrutto thread starter macrumors 6502a

Pbrutto

Wherever you use it most, I am guessing it isn't as bright as the apple store? I am thinking the oled looks much better without a ton of glare, much like my watch.

4. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

Am I the only one who thinks it's just good sense for Apple to have made the TB dimmer than the screen so as to avoid distraction when you are focusing on the screen?

5. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

The lights at the Apple Store are a lot brighter than my home.

6. Pbrutto thread starter macrumors 6502a

Pbrutto

I think apple set themselves up with bright beautiful screens on all their devices. Now we all hunger for them! But I agree from the little bit that I played with one, if it was bright it would be distracting.

7. jft94 macrumors regular

No, I agree with it. Although, I wish there was an option to make it a little bit brighter when needed. But I am definitely okay with the level of brightness it has.

8. MH01, Nov 26, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2016

MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Looks the same to me. Though it impressed me more when I used it at home

My only issue is using it lying down as I often do with my laptops after work, watching TV, with the damn buttons moving about in every application it's not very user friendly or intuitive ....with line of sight necessary .

I like it when I am at my desk, though I gotta say physical buttons are a much better user experience in my opinion

9. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

Just how many men do you live with exactly? :)

10. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

hmmmm ****** auto correct .

11. Pbrutto thread starter macrumors 6502a

Pbrutto

Speaking of auto correct (off topic), my girlfriend borrowed my phone a few weeks ago. Didn't know auto correct was synced across icloud. So when i type the word "now"....if im not paying attention I send emails with phrases like. "Right meow" and "I think meow rather than later". Really encourages proofreading!

12. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

I thought the exact same thing. It looked faded, and the little plastic strip at the bottom of the actual screen (with the "MacBook Pro" branding) equally looked cheap. This was not the case in any review or photo I've seen of the laptop, so I'm guessing it was the store lighting. Maybe it ships with plastic protection that was not peeled away?

13. yillbs macrumors 6502

yillbs

I use my 13 all the time outside , screen isn't nearly as bright as the screen itself on top, but it's bright enough to view / use. Plus, using most of the features have become second nature, I can navigate all of the menus i need without even looking.