Touchbar MBP: Diff in keyboard feel between 13 and 15?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by imacspert, Feb 6, 2017.

1. imacspert macrumors newbie

I have owned both and definitely feel a difference. 13 feels like shorter travel and therefore more solid; the 15 has a tad bit more travel and therefore feels different.

Am hoping others can confirm this diff, or else I need to inquire about my 15's keyboard :)

thanks!

2. Sanpete macrumors 68020

This is the first I've heard of a difference. If your keyboard is working well for you, that's the main thing.

3. a4k04 macrumors newbie

Not sure when you purchased either one but I had a 15" from the pre-order batch that got replaced about a week ago with one manufactured in early January and the keyboard is definitely different. The first 15" was much more 'clicky' and made a lot of noise. The keyboard on the replacement machine feels just like a 13" I've typed on; solid, still loud but makes a much 'softer' sound, and the keys feel like they have more rebound instead of a ratchet-like feeling. I've typed on another 15" and a 13" that were from the pre-order batch and they felt like my original one did...my experience seems to indicate a slight change in keyboard design or manufacturing process between the first batch of machines and the subsequent machines.

4. wittyphrase macrumors member

I agree 100% with the keyboard between the 15" and 13" feeling different. Before purchasing I spent a week walking into the Apple store and typing on the 13" and 15" keyboards since I'd heard so much about them. I found the keyboard on the 13" to feel a little more solid.

I purchased the 15" and so now having spent a month with it I am used to it and very fond of it, but I definitely remember thinking that they didn't feel the same. It was a totally unscientific test and it could have had something to do with the thousands of people walking into that store and mashing the keys all day.