Touchcover or Typecover

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Michael Goff, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

I was thinking of maybe getting one of those RTs in the future, with the price drop and all, but I know nothing about whether or not the touch cover is any good. Reviews seem to be mixed about it.

Some people seem to say you'll 'get used to it' and others flat out say it's horrible and that you should get the type cover.

Is that true?

2. Smurfpoop macrumors newbie

Smurfpoop

I recommend the type cover. The touch cover is a bit "touchy" and records accidental touches. I find it much more fluid and accurate when typing. IMO the touch cover drives me bonkers. When you fold up either one to take it on the go they both look crappy on the backside. For a $100+ keyboard you think Microsoft would have put a better material on the bottom of these keyboards.

3. Michael Goff thread starter macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Does the typecover add a considerable amount of thickness when it's closed up with the RT?

4. Smurfpoop macrumors newbie

Smurfpoop

The type cover is thicker but that's because the keys actually require travel when pressed down. Go to a local Best Buy and try it out. All best buys have both keyboards on the Microsoft surface displays. Try it out and worse case you have 15 days to try it out. If you don't care for one or the other you can always return it for the one you prefer.

5. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

Typecover all the way, the thickness is negligible.

Touchcover feels like you're typing on a plastic placemat

Typecover and a Moko case and you can carry it around like a portfolio

6. joudbren macrumors regular

7. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

Touch cover is not as good as a type cover for actual typing. It is almost like typing on a touch screen that has palm blocking and requires a little bit of pressure. It isn't horrible but it will take time to get used to. I type around 80-90 WPM and the type cover cuts me down to about 50. I got it because I wanted something thin (It is about as thick as 2 CDs stacked) but if I was going to type SOP documents and code on it I would have went with the type cover. I spend more time with my cover flipped behind my surface than I do actually typing on it. I honestly could have bought the Surface without a cover and been happy.

8. Stuntman06 macrumors 6502a

Stuntman06

I personally would choose the type cover. I like having a feel as close to a PC keyboard as possible. I did get a chance to try out the touch cover and was actually impressed with it. Still, I like the feel of the key travelling downward as I press it.

9. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

I wish they do a Touchpad-like fire sale on these. I'd love to pick up a Surface for dirt cheap.

10. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I went with a touchcover, but only because I don't plan on typing :p

I consider it a $120 screen cover :eek:

But I do like my cyan cover, which matches my cyan WP8 phone...

11. jry macrumors newbie

I have the touch cover. Once I got used to it I can type rather efficiently with it. I like the thinness and lightness. I carry around a Microsoft wireless mouse with my RT. When I'm at a desk or table its a great combination.