Touchid after washing hands

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gaanee, Jan 10, 2014.

1. gaanee macrumors 6502a

Touchid doesn't recognize your fingerprint after you wash and dry your hands. It takes a while for it to work. Has anyone noticed this?

2. oVerboost macrumors 6502a

Yes, of course it takes a while because your fingerprint isn't clear on your finger, the same as with dirt/oils etc...

3. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

my finger doesn't work a lot of the time, I've made a couple different scans of my finger in different conditions so it will work.

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

That's because it's still wet. Either dry more thoroughly or simply manually enter the passcode if you know it's wet, until it's completely dry.

5. avanpelt macrumors 68020

Aside from wet fingers not registering, I've also noticed that since we're in winter here in the U.S. and the skin on my fingers tends to be much drier than it is any other time of the year, Touch ID often takes several attempts to recognize my fingerprint -- if it's recognized at all. As soon as I push lotion on my hands, Touch ID works almost every single time.

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Re-register the same fingerprint in the winter but don't erase the other one. That way, Touch ID will work year round.

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Works just fine if I dry my hands. If my fingertips aren't dry then I have problems.

8. gaanee thread starter macrumors 6502a

I noticed that it doesnt work even when you dry your hands especially after shower, it takes a few minutes. Its possible that it changes the fingerprint patterns which the touchid sensor uses just enough for it not to recognize.

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yes, skin can absorb water so it's still not completely dry. You can try registering a second print immediately after showering if it's a recurring problem.

10. wacky4alanis macrumors 6502

11. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Maybe I must dry my hands properly? Never had an issue after washing my hands or a couple of minutes after showering :confused:

Obviously if they are actually wet, I'm sure it won't read it, but I've never tried to use it with wet fingers....

12. Thepoobear macrumors 6502

My touch ID is horrible. Every morning I have to retrain it. It works awesome RIGHT AFTER the learning phase, then gets worse throughout the day.

It's got to be a software issue...Has anyone noticed this being a problem in the betas?

13. bushman4 macrumors 68000

Dry or Wet hands affect the scan Sometimes touching powdery foods like nuts etc affect the scan and also dirt etc on the home button makes scanning harder. Be patient. Use cream on your hands if they are dry and keeping your IPhone clean will all help. Nothing is perfect under all conditions.

14. Thepoobear macrumors 6502

They need to put out instructions detailing how to properly keep our hands clean and up to standards for their sensor...

I wash my hands many times throughout the day. I've tried learning prints in the morning and at night and throughout the day to catch all different conditions.

15. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

Dry your hands better. Even when I get out of the shower and dry my hands, Touch ID works.