All iPads TouchID and Smart Cover

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Night Spring, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I love TouchID on the iPhone 5s and 6, but on the iPad, I'm finding it very awkward to use in conjunction with the Smart Cover. Ever since the iPad 2, I've been using my iPads with the sleep/wake function of the Smart Cover, and I've gotten so used to the iPad just turning on and being at the last state I left it when I flip open the cover. Opening the cover and then holding my thumb on the home button to unlock is an extra step that I didn't need before. I tried it a few times and then ended up turning off TouchID and went back to using the iPad without a passcode. On the iPhone, TouchID doesn't add an extra step because I push the home button anyway to wake up the phone. But on the iPad, it feels like this whole extra step that is almost as interruptive as having to type in a passcode. Anybody else feel the same way? Or has anyone worked out a method for using TouchID with Smart Cover that doesn't feel so awkward?

2. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

#touchidgate

What do you want them to, move the button to the right bezel? If it's awkward, don't use it. Simple as that.

3. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

We need a little iOS update that allows Touch ID for just purchases.

4. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

Not sure if you're serious?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. Night Spring thread starter macrumors G5

Night Spring

If I turn off TouchID for iPad unlock, but leave it on for ApplePay and/or iTunes store, don't I have to type in the password to unlock the iPad?

6. MisterPunchy macrumors regular

Are you for realz? Or are you da troll? Or just not da smarts?

7. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

Yes. That was my point. It's all or nothing.

8. Night Spring thread starter macrumors G5

Night Spring

Maybe not so smart? :p

So which is it, I have to type in the password, or I don't have to type the password?

9. DoofenshmirtzEI macrumors 6502a

DoofenshmirtzEI

God, people, we need an answer here. Don't you all know it's completely impossible to try it out?

10. cannono macrumors regular

You can't have TouchID on for anything if you don't have it on for Unlock. There's no option to use it only for purchases.

11. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

You can disable it for unlock, but still need the passcode. What you can do is disable for unlock then set it to lock after 4 hours of non use, this way you can still use the fingerprint scanner for Apple pay and iTunes, but only have to enter your passcode if your iPad has been idle for 4 hours.