TouchID Gone for Good

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cashmonee, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Cashmonee macrumors 65816

Cashmonee

Perhaps this is obvious, and maybe someone else caught this and posted it and i have missed it, but for anyone holding out hope of a TouchID comeback, this from Apple SVP of Hardware Engineering, Dan Riccio in TechCrunch's review seems to indicate Apple has moved on, and that all the rumors of Apple trying to keep TouchID were false.

I know we all love rumors, after all look at the name of the site, but I think this time analysts and their sources clearly were way off on several points.

Link to the review: https://techcrunch.com/2017/10/31/review-the-iphone-x-goes-to-disneyland/

2. Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

But they patented Touch ID behind the touch screen, so they at least considered the idea.

3. bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

Tl;dr if you like fingerprint based unlocking better stock up on 8/8 Plus phones or other Android phones before they jump on facial recognition hype train.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 5, 2017 ---
    Companies can patent ideas for a wide range of reasons; they don't have to patent it because they seriously considered going that route.

4. JPack macrumors 601

JPack

It was obvious on day one, during the keynote presentation in September.

Apple spent several minutes describing how Face ID was superior. They were descriptive and provided stats. You don't do that and then bring back Touch ID.