TouchID in Sleep Wake Button?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ASUgrad1999, Jul 10, 2017.

1. ASUgrad1999 macrumors regular

ASUgrad1999

I've heard reports that the Sleep Wake button is rumored to be elongated on the iPhone 8/X. With all the mystery surrounding the location or existence of Touch ID, I'm wondering if they incorporated it into the Sleep Wake button rather than eliminating it altogether. Not saying they won't move to facial recognition, I'm just doubtful they would eliminate TouchID altogether.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hope they don't eliminate it either.
    I doubt the power button would be a good idea for Touch ID though.

3. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I don't see the touch ID being integrated into the sleep/wake button. I do see Iris/Facial recognition being a secondary option to access your iPhone. I still have thoughts if touch ID will be embedded in the display, even after all the speculation with OLED.

4. recoil80 macrumors 68000

I think touchID is going to stay and I'd rather have it on the sleep button than on the back. Of course the sweetest thing would be having it embedded under the display

5. madgibbon macrumors regular

Sony's latest handsets have the finger print reader in the power button and they work ok.

6. TWD98j macrumors regular

Maybe they'll put Touch ID inside the :apple: logo on the back of the phone. It's at the perfect spot on the back of the phone to be functional.

7. Infiniverse48 macrumors 6502a

Touch ID is a fundamental aspect of iPhone. It is pivotal to both a sense of security to the customer, and ease-of-use for unlocking the device and paying with Apple Pay.

Touch ID therefore, is priority #2 after the Home Button. This means that when contemplating any changes to iPhone design, the teams involved—which are comprised of highly intelligent human beings—analyze what must be done to preserve the functionality and the location of the Home Button and Touch ID. As these are priorities #1 and #2, all feature changes and design changes will only be undertaken if the functionality and location of these remain static.

Touch ID will not be located on the back of any iPhone, ever. It is poor design, an enormous compromise, and as I stated, a direct offense to priorotization.

Touch ID will not be located on the elongated power button. It has a new use being elongated of which has nothing to do with Touch ID.

Touch ID and the Home Button will remain on the bottom face of the 2017 iPhones. The Home Button will have identical functionality, ease-of-use, and feeling, but it will now be a part of a larger area known as 'Home Bar'. This will be a black bar like the Touchbar on MacBook Pro, with included Home Button functionality.

8. ASUgrad1999 thread starter macrumors regular

ASUgrad1999