TouchID in Sleep Wake Button?

ASUgrad1999

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
Gilbert, AZ
I've heard reports that the Sleep Wake button is rumored to be elongated on the iPhone 8/X. With all the mystery surrounding the location or existence of Touch ID, I'm wondering if they incorporated it into the Sleep Wake button rather than eliminating it altogether. Not saying they won't move to facial recognition, I'm just doubtful they would eliminate TouchID altogether.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I don't see the touch ID being integrated into the sleep/wake button. I do see Iris/Facial recognition being a secondary option to access your iPhone. I still have thoughts if touch ID will be embedded in the display, even after all the speculation with OLED.

recoil80

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2014
I think touchID is going to stay and I'd rather have it on the sleep button than on the back. Of course the sweetest thing would be having it embedded under the display

Reactions: Sunny1990

TWD98j

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2010
Maybe they'll put Touch ID inside the :apple: logo on the back of the phone. It's at the perfect spot on the back of the phone to be functional.

Infiniverse48

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2017
Touch ID is a fundamental aspect of iPhone. It is pivotal to both a sense of security to the customer, and ease-of-use for unlocking the device and paying with Apple Pay.

Touch ID therefore, is priority #2 after the Home Button. This means that when contemplating any changes to iPhone design, the teams involved—which are comprised of highly intelligent human beings—analyze what must be done to preserve the functionality and the location of the Home Button and Touch ID. As these are priorities #1 and #2, all feature changes and design changes will only be undertaken if the functionality and location of these remain static.

Touch ID will not be located on the back of any iPhone, ever. It is poor design, an enormous compromise, and as I stated, a direct offense to priorotization.

Touch ID will not be located on the elongated power button. It has a new use being elongated of which has nothing to do with Touch ID.

Touch ID and the Home Button will remain on the bottom face of the 2017 iPhones. The Home Button will have identical functionality, ease-of-use, and feeling, but it will now be a part of a larger area known as 'Home Bar'. This will be a black bar like the Touchbar on MacBook Pro, with included Home Button functionality.