Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
I'm having problems with Touch ID my 2016 13" TB MBP after updating to High Sierra. When I wake the computer from sleep, Touch ID doesn't seem to work and I end up having to type my admin password. Touch ID will then not work for 1Password and other applications.

I found some mention of this in a Google search, and the suggestion was to restart. That fixed the problem, at least temporarily, but it came back soon after. I have also done a SMC and NVRAM reset, to no avail.

Any suggestions?

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
I restarted and then removed and added my fingerprint back. Seems to have helped so far, but I had already done this once and the problem returned. We'll see. When the first High Sierra update is released I will also try doing a combo update, and after that maybe a clean install.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Try clearing the Touch Bar's data and then re-add your fingerprints. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201065:
Start up from macOS Recovery by holding down Command-R on your keyboard immediately after pressing the power button to turn on your Mac, or immediately after your Mac begins to restart. When the macOS Utilities window appears, choose Utilities > Terminal in the menu bar. Type this command in Terminal:

xartutil --erase-all

Press Return, type yes when asked if you're sure, and then press Return again. Finally, choose Terminal > Quit Terminal.

If that doesn't work, a full reinstall of High Sierra will be required to reinstall the Touch Bar's firmware.

Reactions: badlydrawnboy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.