TouchID on guess new elongated power button?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eVolcre, Apr 18, 2017.

1. eVolcre macrumors 68000

eVolcre

There seems to be an uproar about plan B. Removing touchid or moving it to the rear. What if the power button is the new touchid? I read something about it being longer than before. The only logical explanation for a larger power button is that it does something else. Why not touch id? That way once apple fixes the under screen implementation there's no huge design change. Just take it off the power button later.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 18, 2017 ---
    Can a mod edit title please. Effing autocorrect

2. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

Seems a bit inconvenient to not have the home button and Touch-ID be in the same place. Plus the power button is too small for that.

3. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

I think others have used the power button as the FP scanner (Nextbit and Sony I think)

4. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

Exactly it's way too tiny. Did you see the power button for iphones? It's like 8mm long by 2mm thick....

5. snicklesnackle macrumors member

snicklesnackle

Too small, especially the flat portion. Plus they'd need to remove the physical button to do that.

6. borgsauce macrumors regular

borgsauce

I would love to have the Touch ID on the home button. That way you get more room for screen real estate and you can unlock the device while it sits on a desk.

7. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Do you mean you want touch ID embedded in the home screen? Because touch ID is embedded in the home button currently.

8. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

Why would they need to remove the physical button?

9. eVolcre thread starter macrumors 68000

eVolcre

Too small right now. But the last few rumors keep talking about an elongated power button. Nobody knows what it's for. I think it's the backup location for touch id. If they can't figure out the under screen implementation

10. borgsauce macrumors regular

borgsauce

Sorry I meant to say the Power button. It felt just right back when I was using the Xperia Z5 compact. But I can see how this would be a bit complicated on an iPhone considering they would have to increase the size of the power button substantially and compromise on slimness. Also I'm guessing that since Sony has disabled the sensor on the home button in the US due patent rights, this method would be unlikely adopted by Apple.