TouchID to power off?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by acearchie, Sep 12, 2013.

1. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Sorry if this has been posted before but a quick search didn't pull anything up.

I was thinking about the new TouchID security and what it actually means to the security of the phone.

My phone has never been stolen but I would assume that if it was stolen the first thing a criminal would do would be to power off the phone to block find my iPhone from connecting.

After just checking with my 4S it is possible to power down the phone from the unlock screen.

Wouldn't it be interesting if it required a TouchID authorisation to power off so that in the case that it did get stolen it would be unable to be unlocked and unable to be unlocked until back in the rightful hands of the owner + registered users?

2. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

A passcode to power off has been a non-feature that has been talked about for the last 2 years. It seems simple to implement, and even easier with TouchID. I can't imagine why this wouldn't be included as another security measure. But i'm betting it's not.

3. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

It's been mooted in the past that it wouldn't be legal to have a phone that required a password to switch off, as it should be possible for anyone to turn it off to prevent interference with important systems (e.g. on a plane).

4. Smith288 macrumors 6502a

Smith288

That is moot if it only occurs when you yourself have gone to icloud.com and marked the phone as missing.

5. iAmirul macrumors regular

iAmirul

No point turning it off because as part of a new security feature in iOS7, the device can only be activated by the same apple ID..

6. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

True, but i'd like to be able to trace my phone in the minutes/hours after it went missing. Powering off kills those chances immediately.