TouchID - why passcode after restart?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by MoodyM, Jun 12, 2014.

1. MoodyM macrumors 6502a

MoodyM

I realise you need to use the passcode after a restart, and after 48 hours if TouchID hasn't been used, but any idea? What purpose does it serve?

2. I7guy macrumors G5

Don't really know, but it seems like a good idea to prevent your fingerprinted from being lifted from the face and used to get entry to the phone.

3. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Just because it seems safer... Again just so its clear. Just because it seems safer. Think about it as average user you would see that and just be like "oh its just so theres no way some one can get in". I dont think it really has other purpose

4. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

similarly why do we have to have instant lock with touchID turned on - why can't it delay for the same intervals as without.

sorry for stealing thread.

5. white4s macrumors 65816

6. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Because it's just as easy as hitting the home button to wake the phone up anyways.

7. kwags macrumors newbie

Well not just as easy. But pretty close. I think the iphone 6 will be fast enough that it will be literally just as easy with no extra finger hold delay. At least that what I'm hoping apple will produce for us.

8. jlsm511 macrumors 6502

jlsm511

Extra level of security, in case your finger gets chopped off or something? lol

9. Winona Northdakota macrumors 6502a

This really isn't how Touch ID works...

10. I7guy macrumors G5

It's been hacked.

11. Winona Northdakota macrumors 6502a

12. I7guy macrumors G5

It's still been hacked regardless of the name.

13. Winona Northdakota macrumors 6502a

14. KeegM480 macrumors 6502a

KeegM480

If you press the home button and leave your finger on it, it unlocks it right away you see the lock screen for a split second. It actually can be quicker, speaking as a former iPhone 5 user)

15. I7guy, Jun 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2014

I7guy macrumors G5

Right, but whatever you call it, it's been hacked. So I believe it's a security feature that requires the password on restart.

Anyway saying it's a technology, not a name, yada, yada, yada is irrelevant to the security feature of requiring a Passcode after restart.

16. afsnyder macrumors 65816

It hasn't been hacked. It's been tricked. The software itself seems to be spot on but the sensor itself can be tricked but it takes a lot of work and resources.

17. I7guy macrumors G5

Yes, I couldn't think of the correct word, thanks for clarifying.

18. Dented macrumors 6502a

The password check isn't there because Touch ID has been tricked, or "hacked", it's always been there because it's a sensible backstop that means you can't own the entire phone simply with a fingerprint copy.

Samsung actually got a fair bit of criticism for not including the same failsafe on the S5, particularly since they also allow the fingerprint scanner (which can be tricked just like Apple's) to authorise paypal payments.

19. Yakibomb macrumors 6502

Yakibomb

I agree that its a sensible fail safe but for most users it's just an inconvenience, I mean for the average guy on the street how likely is having a copy of their finger print made?

20. Dented macrumors 6502a

Well a sensible fail safe is a sensible fail safe; yes it's slightly less convenient than being able to 100% rely on Touch ID for security, but no you can't 100% rely on Touch ID for security, so what are you going to do - let everyone think that Touch ID is keeping them completely secure when it doesn't? Or get them spend 2 seconds entering a passcode once in a while?

21. Yakibomb macrumors 6502

Yakibomb

I get your point, problem is that most users place convenience above security hence the high number of people with Touch ID that still use simple passcodes that can be guessed in a few tries. This feature would be most effective if :apple: made users using Touch ID use complex passcodes instead of the standard 4 digit ones

22. MikeyMike01 macrumors 6502

If you gave someone your house key, and they took a mold of it using fancy equipment and duplicated the key, would you claim your door lock had been hacked?

23. I7guy macrumors G5

I couldn't think of the proper word. As afsnyder noted a better word is "tricked".