Touching the iPad 2 for the first time

Discussion in 'iPad' started by technoawareness, May 29, 2011.

1. technoawareness macrumors newbie

My friend recently bought an iPad 2 version, it was really cool to operate, I have a magic jack and at one point I asked my friend, can I connect my magic jack and call to my relative in West virginia, He said no you can't connect it.

Why iPad does not have a USB port? Will it come in future versions, I was so much attracted towards the other features and when see this feature was not there, I was so disappointed about iPad.

My question is: Does the latest version of iPad has the USB port and what are the alternatives for me to call through an iPad apart from skype and other apps which can be downloaded from iTunes marketplace.

2. kalsta macrumors 68000

kalsta

Settle down big fella… Just because you have a magic jack, doesn't mean you can just go around sticking it in any place you like.

I have a strange feeling this thread might get the cord yanked by a mod anyway…

3. technoawareness thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey, Im not that much familiar about iPad stuff, No hard feelings.

4. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

5. darkside flow macrumors 6502

I'm not sure you can hook up a magic jack to any tablet on the market even if it has USB.

6. technoawareness thread starter macrumors newbie

Can you explain why , we cannot use Magic jack with any tablet?

See now iam gaining knowledge from this forum, It means tomorrow i can give that knowledge to someone when i become a senior in this forum in a few months of time.

Do not worry about the username please explain and stick with my question.

7. darkside flow macrumors 6502

Magic Jack is created to be compatible with traditional computer operating systems such as windows and Mac osx. It is not designed to work with newer mobile operating systems such as iOS or Android.

I suppose if you got a windows tablet with USB connection it may work, but I'm not certain that it would be running a full scale version of windows anyways.

8. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Can't understand why anyone with even the slightest tech skill would own a Magicjack when you can get a proper VoIP phone service for peanuts and an adapter like the PAP2T (so you DON'T have to keep your computer on to use the POTS)

Sell the Magicjack it's rubbish. Google VoIP or see the dslreports.com site for info.

PS with a VoIP service you can get an app for your iPod Touch called Acrobits and it'll work like a phone.

9. jdminpdx macrumors 6502

+1 gandma had it and I convinced her it was a POS. Showed her the wonderful world of VoIP and she let me take a hammer to magic jack.

10. Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian

You might want to change the name of your thread to something that actually has something to do with the question your asking. If you're wondering "Why iPad does not have a USB port?" or "MagicJack and the Ipad", why not title the thread appropriately. "Touching the iPad 2 for the first time" sounds like a religious experience.

11. Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian

Too funny. But we should be nice.

12. technoawareness thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey I apologize for the mistake, In future threads , I will make sure i will write title related to the topic.

13. technoawareness thread starter macrumors newbie

How to get Google Voip and i went to the referred site could not find , it seems lot of broadband discussions are going on in that website. Thanks for suggesting a app Acrobits, If i have an iPhone 2 will it work on it?

14. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

LOL.. my sentiments exactly! The title and post within are completely disconnected!

And yes, like others have already stated, magic jack is garbage at best!

15. touchmonkey macrumors 6502

troll?
    moar likely than you think
    magic jack lol
    magic jack + ipad = LOL
    the concept is making my head 'splode
    reminds me of "Brazil" and its mashing of old/new tech

16. technoawareness thread starter macrumors newbie

I have magic jack and i wanted to use it with every little opportunity. Nothing is impossible, iPad manufacturers think , they can create a USB port in the next edition.

17. HengenJL macrumors 6502a

HengenJL

if Apple were to ever include a USB port on the iPad (never going to happen) it would increase the thickness of the device. the way Apple is going the next generation of iPad will probably be thinner than the iPad 2, and the last thing Apple wants to do is increase the thickness of the device...

18. henchman macrumors 6502a

Well guys, I have a magic Jack and in fact love it.
    I was using voip until I could get my number ported and it was more expensive than magicjack on calltime minutes.

19. technoawareness thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree to your point to some extent. But ,thickness is not a big problem to overcome, if Apple really think to bring the feature of USB on iPads, let them find out or create an unique socket provision which fits inside the thin outer covering of the device and an external connector cable which has one end USB port and another end with the socket designed by iPad. if there is a will, they can easily do it.

20. BrennerM macrumors regular

By purchasing the Camera Connector Kit you get a dongle which plugs into the iPad dock port and gives you a USB port. But it only supports a very limited number of low-power USB devices which have driver support built into iOS. I seriously doubt that MagicJack is supported. Could it be supported in future? Yes, if Apple wrote the appropriate driver code into iOS. This is very unlikely to happen in my opinion.

21. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Magic Jack on the iPad? Will. Never. Happen.

If this is what you want, buy a Windows netbook. At this point, even an Android tablet with 10 USB ports won't do exactly what you want, either.

Or use a different VoIP solution.

22. Meanee macrumors 6502a

Careful with Magic Jack. I remember their terms of service actually stated that they are allowed to monitor and record your calls. When someone published that fact on a blog, they went sue-happy. Just wouldn't trust them.

23. henchman macrumors 6502a

Holy paranoia Batman.
    Time to replace the tinfoil?

24. Meanee macrumors 6502a

Actually, I just looked it up again. BoingBoing pointed out that EULA stated the following

You can still find it here: http://www.magicjack.com/tos/ Look up chapter 11 and 24

So, spyware, recording of call details, and cannot sue them for anything. BoingBoing was sued by Magic Jack's founder, and lost the suit, paying BoingBoing $50k for legal fees.

Read more here: http://boingboing.net/2010/02/23/magicjack-dials-wron.html

Paranoia, huh..

25. bobright macrumors 601

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I touched one today and crapped my pants