Touching trackpad not waking up Mac now

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by FortWorthMac, Jul 24, 2011.

1. FortWorthMac macrumors 6502a

Hey all,

Since upgrading to Lion on my iMac and MBA touching the trackpad DOES NOT wake up the Mac. I've checked my preferences and can't seem to find anything that disabled it. What I'm I missing?

Thanks

2. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

I discovered this as well. To be honest, I thought maybe I just had a false memory of the trackpad waking the MacBook from sleep. Now I just hit spacebar.

3. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

I have been searching google all day for a fix. No luck thus far!

4. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Not missing a thing. A click is needed now. I'm guessing to prevent accidental wake from sleep.

5. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

A lot of people complained about the sleep problem, now it's going the other way. Can't make everyone happy.

6. Mak47 macrumors 6502a

If you enable the doube-tap to drag capability under the universal access preferences you can do a double tap to wake it instead of a true click.

7. psywzrd macrumors 68030

This is a big problem for me because the computer going to sleep like this prevents me from being able to use AirVideo, TeamViewer, etc. How can I prevent the computer from going to sleep at all so that I can use these apps and others when I'm away from my computer?

8. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

System Prefs > Energy Saver > Computer Sleep: Never

or us http://lightheadsw.com/caffeine/ to prevent your computer to go to sleep when enabled.

9. joaomario macrumors newbie

Open Energy Saver Preferences (click the battery or power bar logo on the top right) and move the slider to NEVER (all the way to the right) under the category "Computer Sleep". Do this for both the Power adaptor and Battery tabs. you might also want to untick "put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible". these settings will compromise your battery life however. It is no differant to the way it worked in Snow Leopard.

10. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I'm already using those settings and it's still going to sleep. It worked fine under Snow Leopard.

11. yubbie2 macrumors newbie

For me, the computer doesn't go to sleep, but the display turns off (which I want). However, I miss being able to jiggle the mouse to wake it up, instead of hitting a key.

12. mobilehavoc macrumors 6502

mobilehavoc

I love my MBP and OSX in general but this is a perfect example of why I also hate Apple sometimes. Rather than give users the option (would take 5 mins for anyone to code) they decide what they feel is best option and now you're all screwed if you don't agree.

I may have to reconsider once Windows 8 comes out - I get annoyed not having as much control of my laptop

13. sallylynn812 macrumors member

I can understand why they did it. There are times when I've hit my mouse or only wanted to move the computer and it woke up unnecessarily. Although I only leave it open when I'm downloading something, which is fairly rare. Unless I'm downloading, there's no reason I wouldn't shut it and have it go to sleep. I could understand how it'd be more useful to, say, someone with a cat. But then what are the chances of the cat just walking on the keyboard and waking it up anyways.
    I can get used to it, and then again, is the amount of energy it saves really worth the 'annoyance' of change?

14. iAmYou macrumors 6502

iAmYou

Not really sure why it has to be one way or another. An option would be the solution.

15. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Like I said, this is a big problem for me since I need to be able to access my computer when I'm away from home. I don't understand the logic in making a change like this. If you want to make it an option, that's fine but don't take away functionality that people have come to rely on.

16. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

Agree 100%. Sometimes Apple acts like Microsoft. They think they know what is best for everyone.

17. JohnJay macrumors newbie

Restor the concept of user choice

YES YOU CAN. What about giving the user a choice? We may not all have the same preferences as a 16 year old Apple programmer.

I LOVE Apple. But do not lose the ethic of respecting what the user wants. Today's trend toward thinking machines is at least temporarily wrong, maybe ultimately wrong. The technology needs to support human capacity, choice, empowerment, ability, opportunity, preference, etc.; not take it away or replace it with supposedly smarter devices.

EVERYONE should beware of anything called "Smart" even people. We do not have artificial intelligence today, not theoretically or practically. We have artificial devices, but they are stupid. What you have is "AS" -- "artificial stupidity". Even genuine stupidity is better because you can do something about it.