touchmods mic questions

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by oclor, Jan 19, 2008.

1. oclor macrumors regular

Hi. I just got an email from touchmods saying that I can order their mic. I don't really care about making phone calls though, I just want a mic so I can record lectures. I have a couple of questions:

1) Is this mic good for recording voice from a distance? I know it's meant to be used to talk right into, as in a phone, but I'm gonna be 20 something feet away from my professor.

2) Is there software that works with the mic to record stuff?

Thanks.

2. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

I'm still waiting for the delivery of my mic, so I can't answer the first question.

If you have a touch that has been jailbroken, then you can use Erica Sadun's Voice Notes application to record notes. Voice Notes is available through the Installer application.

3. oclor thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah it's jailbroken and I have a bunch of 3rd party aps. Thanks for the response.

If there's anyone who can tell me if it can record clearly from a distance please do. Thanks.

4. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

I will hopefully be able to answer that question for you in just a few days, as my hand-built Touchmods mic has already been shipped. I hope to receive it soon!

5. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

I received my mic today. It's one of the hand-built models, not one of the machine-produced models that will be shipping soon.

It works pretty well. I was able to place a phone call and have a conversation with the person who answered the call. I also tested the mic with Erica Sadun's "Voice Notes" application, and again it worked fairly well. I used it to record the sound coming from my TV about 8 feet away from my iPod. It picked up the sound pretty well, though it wasn't super-loud.

Basically, though, the range is limited. If you were able to leave your iPod on the desk where the instructor is seated, that would be ideal. Otherwise, you'd definitely have to sit in the front row.

It's also very low-fi -- I don't think too many people will be using this setup to bootleg concerts! Spoken word sounds fine, though.

I don't know if it would work too well in a classroom environment unless the instructor speaks relatively loud and clear, and there isn't a lot of ambient noise in the room.

I don't mean for this to sound harsh -- I'm thrilled with the purchase, and absolutely floored by the fact I can make phone calls on an iPod touch!