Touchpad freezes in Mavericks preview

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by kristoffer4, Oct 28, 2013.

1. kristoffer4 macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

Ever since I updated my MBP 13" 2011 I have experienced random touchpad freezes when scrolling in a pdf in preview. Anyone else experiencing this?

2. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Me too, and not only in Preview app. I just experienced this in Apple Store site -- I selected a single word and I couldn't de-select it or select another portion of text.

3. Riemann Zeta macrumors 6502a

I've gotten little tiny freezes in various places as well. I realize that Mavericks was optimized for energy efficiency instead of pure speed, but I would have rather kept the speed of Mountain Lion.

4. BuffMaltese, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013

BuffMaltese macrumors newbie

I'm having the exact same problem. As soon as I upgraded to Mavericks. Mid 2012 i7 MacbookAir. Worked great with mountain lion. Another thing I have noticed is frequent rainbow pinwheels. Just seems more sluggish overall. The most glaring problem, however, is the pdf scrolling freezing in preview.

I did a clean install (without even restoring any of my old information over) and I'm still seeing the same problems.

It think Zeta might be on to something, perhaps the OS is too trigger happy to go into some type of low power state whenever possible.

I'll check back to see if anyone hears of a solution. Somewhat comforting to know I'm not the only one.

5. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Me too. It's very annoying. I'm on the new 13" rMBP

6. BarnieStinson macrumors newbie

Yea. I'm getting this too.

Mines is a late 2010 Macbook Pro 15''.

The trackpad freezes and expose freezes too. Tried SMC/PRAM reset already. Gonna have to work with it more to see if its still there. Seems like it is based on my newest restart. Checked Activity monitor and sometimes something called Google chrome helper is shown as not responding. Could be a chrome extension.

I saw it mainly with preview, but it started happening today with Chrome open. It generally happened with chrome preview with a pdf.

Don't want to do a clean install as I don't have my data backed up.

7. BardiaD macrumors newbie

Same problem

I've noticed it since upgrading my 2011 15" MBP. It seems way more prominent in Apple applications like preview, itunes, etc, but that could just be me.

I don't think it's the Chrome Helper thing (which I also had, but has since been addressed in an update), although theres a whole thread on that over at the google forums.

Not sure what it is, but it's annoying as all hell.

8. 00sterb33k macrumors newbie

Same problem here! Since I upgraded to Mavericks, I'm experiencing trackpad freezes on my MBP which I bought in October 2010. I noticed the problem only when scrolling in Preview; at these moments also the resolution of the images seems to decrease slightly. Problem can be solved by some mouse clicks on whatever you are viewing in Preview; after that I can scroll again.

9. madchilli macrumors newbie

hi,
    I just registered to tell you that I solved this Problem.
    it was related to my browser.
    I was using Preview and chrome was open.
    I then tried safari and got no freezes.
    I was using adblock plus.
    when I deactivated it my touchpad didnt freeze again.
    I feel like if I have opened chrome without adblock plus scrolling is still a bit choppy but you can use safari or be happy that you dont have freezes :)